My New Toys!

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've been looking for a surface grinder on craigslist for some time now, and a DoAll dh612 came up for $400 so I bugged my dad enough to have a look at it. It seems like a good machine but didn't get to try it out because the shop was too cold, but he showed me a few parts he ground on it and they looked good. He mentioned his friend had a South Bend for sale for 850 also, so we drove down with him to have a look. It's a SB 13" with a 5' bed. Taper att, collet setup, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, Aloris (BXA?) TP with several holders. All for 850! Plus the lathe is already wired for 110v 1ph

Talking with my dad we have decided to purchase both machines. I can pay for the grinder myself but dad will have to lend me money for the lathe. As soon as I jet a job my first priority is paying him back.
There might also be a Starrett 12" vernier height gauge in the mix for cheap, and they might throw a 3ph motor in the mix for me to make a rotary phase converter!

The seller worked with my grandfather at Xerox, we didn't know that until we called him. It was purely coincidence. He even knew his favorite sayings.

Hopefully the moving will go well, the grinder is 900# and the SB is 1600#. A friend is loaning us a trailer and the seller has a large Kubota lawn tractor with front end loader to help us load it. Getting it off the trailer is easy with the JD410....hopefully!!!

Updated and pics coming soon! Now I have to go make two spaces in the shop.......:thinking: I thought it was already packed!

Congratulations! Those are great machines. Looking forward to seeing them.
Dave

I saw that grinder on Craigslist and seriously considered it. I even went as far as to download the manual. Wish I could attach it here for you. I'm sure a google search will find it. It came with an electro-mag chuck right?

I'm patiently keeping an eye out for an affordable automatic 6x18.

sounds like you got a great dad. . . . good on ya both.

I saw that grinder on Craigslist and seriously considered it. I even went as far as to download the manual. Wish I could attach it here for you. I'm sure a google search will find it. It came with an electro-mag chuck right?

I'm patiently keeping an eye out for an affordable automatic 6x18.

Oh hey neighbor!

Yeah, it was the one in Pittsford or thereabouts. Tan machine with red chuck. It comes with the manual :)
Did you call Dale? There was a guy going to look at it after we did.

I'll keep an eye out for a 6x18 and let you know if I find one for a good price.

Andre, sounds like you got a real nice deal. That equipment, if in good condition, will last you your life time. Great score and good luck.

Paul

Back