My new Colchester

Wow! Someone should be punished for this. It looks like it was very nice before it was left outside.

Let's hope it's "just" surface rust. But my first choice of tool would NOT be a steel brush.
Rather like steel wool and some chemicals.

When you take it apart, do take a lot of pictures and lay the parts out in order, subassemblies.

I am sure someone here will get you a full manual - I'll see, if I should happen to have one.

But I have some Bantam change wheels, if you're interested. Not a full set, but maybe enough.

Cheers
Erik

On edit: I have a spare parts catalogue with exploded drawings of the lathe.
And I just found a full english manual. Both in the PDF file format. PM me, if you want them.
BTW, it looks like it's an imperial machine, not metric. A cheap DRO would help.

I am interested but i have to wait until i know more about my lathe and what i realy need.

How many change wheels did i realy need to do metric screwcutting

Hello Frode. You would have needed 15 changewheels with a tooth range of 20 - 70. I would assume that you already have 3 on the lathe so this would mean that 12 more wheels would have given all threads possible... metric and imperial. For all metric I am not sure - and I am not sure if your machine is a metric machine as standard. I can email you an electronic version of the manual and spare parts list if you need one.

Paul.

Thanks Paul Y can send pm all i need.

My Colchester have got a "new" 3 phase 230-400v el. motor, but i need information about the right wiring . its 6 difrent colour of lead from the lathe to
el.motor

Can y take a look
bilde 2013-1.jpg031.jpg

v1,w1,u1,v2,w2,u2...

bilde 2013-1.jpg 031.jpg

Frode, you have a dual voltage motor and will need to wire it in Wye, or "stjarne". I have a diagram that I can scan and send you since I had to do the same with my motor. PM me your email address and I will send you whatever I have that can help.

Paul.

Now after some week whithout hydraulick / gear oil, the yellow paint inside my lathes gearbox start to cracks and peel of. Yesterday i received new oil. Did i have to repaint it or just brush away old paint...

I would like to run my Colchester bantam MK2 lathe from 240v single phase. But my Colchester lathe has a 2 speed 3 phase motor
I have attached a photo of the motor wiring and the name plate from the motor. Can any of you gentlemen help me out there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

brook,

The two-speed function isn't an issue but you cannot run a three-phase motor directly off of the single phase AC line. If you cannot get your power company to run a 3-phase line to your house (the Houston Looting and Pillage guy whom I asked the question of was still laughing when he hung up on me), you will have to buy or build some sort of single-phase to three-phase inverter.

There are four general types. The motor-generator set would use a large single phase motor to run a three-phase generator. This is large and relatively expensive.

Second, the simple static inverter uses capacitors and inductors to generate the leading and lagging phases from the single phase. This is the cheapest type and there are dozens if not hundreds of them for sale. Their drawback is that they work exactly right only at one load. So generally, if you had several machines with different size three-phase motors, you would want a static inverter for each machine.

The third type, not AFAIK still sold commercially, is to use a static inverter to run a three-phase motor larger that the largest loads.that you expect and use the motor to generate the other two phases. This works well, is cheaper than the M-G set, and was once common in small shops.

The fourth and newest type is the Variable Frequency Drive, or VFD. This is actually a type of static inverter, as it uses no mechanical rotating components. It wasn't practical to build back when your Bantam was new. It converts the 120 or 240 VAC single-phase to DC. And then uses solid-state components to generate three-phase AC. It has the potential advantage over the simple static inverter of also being a variable speed drive.

So the static inverter is the cheapest option. The VFD is more expensive but has the advantage of also being variable speed.

Back