My new Colchester

Since the day i got my lathe i have wondered why the chuck couldnt turn

guess what i found in the gearbox

381.jpg:help:

381.jpg

That has possibilities of being a very nice lathe! Clausing had some good stuff. But obviously you are looking at a lot of work ahead of you --- but have heart, it could just turn out like my South Bend that went thru hurricane Katrina, with the gear box - and everything else - filling with salt water, sewage, pesticides, etc, etc. With a lot of work it turned out quite nicely. I had to make one gear/shaft for the gear box along with every bearing on the lathe - even the motor survived!

Heres a link to a post I did on it, with a bunch of pics from the restoration ...

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...al-late-SB-from-Taiwan-and-a-Katrina-survivor

You have done a real good job

What kind of tool do y use to remove all rust

yikes! that much ice my have made some exspansion cracks.
GL on the rebuild, it is a diamond in the rough... or frozen tundra.

What kind of tool do y use to remove all rust

My primary tools are some of Harbor Freights finest:)) - I have 2 of the amazing little $15 4 1/2" angle grinders that I primarily use twisted wire cup brushes on - along with an occasional plain wire wheel. Then I have 3 of the - again, amazing - $15 air angle die grinders and about 5 of the straight ones primarily using the 3M wheels (or copies of 3M, which are cheaper) And, occasionally will have to resort to using sandpaper...!
Small parts are first wire wheeled on the bench grinder, removing as much as possible, then I have a blast cabinet (here again, another HF piece) that I use with glass bead for as many pieces that I can get in it - many times rust calls for quite aggressive action to get it off.

Its a lot of work, you may as well plan on taking it completely apart, taking a lot of pics before disassembly (you will thank your self on re-assembly). You can sure get yourself well acquainted with a machin in one of these projects!

So Frode, what did you do with the Wooly Mammoth that was buried next to that lathe. Your lathe must have been out in the weather for a while to get the GB full of water. Good luck.

Patrick

I recently bought a 20x80 Tos lathe. I was so excited about the price I was paying and the the difficulty of getting it out of the guys garage that I didn't look it over very well. It had been stored and not operated for quite a few years. When I got it home (700mile round trip) I found the carriage was frozen solid to the ways. When I finally got the carriage off and apart I found it about have full of water. The comment about lots of pictures is right on. Had I not done that I would have never got it back together. Although the gears were rusted they we useable after clean up. I think I used a gallon of Krud Cutter. The result was a great lathe for a great price and a great learning experience. The Colchester project is a great candidate for the same experience. Good luck.

Back