My neighbor called the police on me for noise pollution

I am fortunate to have my nearest neighbors a half mile away. We had an incident with one of them over noise once. He was a mechanical engineering professor at UW and had an ongoing extracurricular project going with a group of students involving souping up off road vehicles. He set up a 1/3 mile dirt track for testing and several times during the summer, he would have the group out for eight hours of testing. The nearest curve was 200 yds from our house and the constant noise from unmuffled engines couldn't be drowned out by the lawn mower.

My wife called up to complain and spoke to his wife. She told my wife that it was a University project to which my wife replied, " fine, I know the chancellor" Five minutes later, the wife was over and five minutes after that, the professor stopped in. His response to the noise we were hearing was that he didn't realize it carried so well. He moved the event to his brother's farm and that was that.

We live in a rural area and noise is a common occurrence. Everyone heats with with wood and has a chainsaw, including me. I have had a couple of three hour sessions this year. We understand that. It is part of the trade-off for living where we do. A couple of neighbors a firearm enthusiasts. One buys ammunition for his AK47 a thousand rounds at a time. Another likes target shooting and some days there is a constant repetition of shots for an hour or more at a time. In winter, there is a snowmobile runabout 200 yards from the house. Although it is set up for public use, we are fortunate that there is little traffic and so far none at 3 AM. Wisconsin got tough on drink sledding some years back so bar hopping on snowmobiles is way down. Being well off the beaten track helps as well.

My biggest complaint is the weekend bike races and tours that stream past our house. Some years ago, when it was thought that Chicago might have a shot at the Olympics, Part of the "Tour" was to have run on our road. Cyclists from all over the midwest started running on our road. An Illinois based company set up a for profit race running past the house. A Madison race called the "Horribly Hilly 100" makes not one but two loops past the house. We would have races or tours every weekend. Off duty cops would be hired to police the events and they would stop regular traffic to let cyclists run, sometimes shutting a road down to all regular traffic. One of our neighbors who farms was told that he could leave his driveway to go to his field with his tractor. For the most part these are people from cities, towns, and suburbs. I can only imagine the uproar that would occur if someone decided to have street drags outside their houses. We finally managed to slow things down. We have a couple of meetings with the county board and some ordinances were passed to regulate these events. The number of events is limited now and permits are required.

The strangest thing though was an event I ran into (nearly literally) coming home from work one evening. I came around a corner to see herds of people on modified skateboards with push poles to simulate cross country skiing. There were several hundred and they were all over the road, four and five abreast and there was no way to pass them. I had to follow them for about a mile to the next intersection where they turned off. I'm not sure what would have happened had there been oncoming traffic. Fortunately, it was a short-lived fad.

Wow!
I guess living in a small rural Iowa town ain't so bad after all!
Now, if they'd just do something about the drag strip 1/2 mile south of me......
Talk about noise!!!
Wind is out of the south, I may as well be sitting in the stands instead of my living room.

Last edited:
I love that our little town is unincorporated so I can do my mail order/online biz here with no problem. Almost all my neighbors do DIY projects and a couple are retired and do woodwork. I'm the only metal worker but I work strictly during the day and am conscious of my noise level. I've never had anybody complain about my noise. Probably the most noise I make is doing hammer forming or using my grinder. Most times I listen to audio books or lectures on my MP3 player with headphones but when I'm doing powdercoat I'll turn on the stereo. We are on a cul de sac and on a hill side so almost everybody is on a different level. My driveway angles down pretty steeply so I think this also helps to damp my noise output as we are nestled back and down. I don't work in the shop if I can't have the big garage door open for the fresh air and light. So everybody's situation is different. I guess I'm lucky that the people who lived here before were big DIY'ers so somebody working in this garage with the door open is not unusual.

I will do this tomorrow, but I will only stand on the sidewalk in front of his house. I wish I had a decibel meter.
So you wish you had a sound meter. You got a smart phone? You can get a free Sound Meter app for it, I see about a dozen different ones in the Goggle Play Store and have used mine in several situations.

I suggest you keep your garage door closed and turn off the music.

We live in an area where the "small" lots are 1.25 acres and we have a woods behind our house so noise hasen't been much of an issue. About the only time we worry about it is when we break in a cam on one of our race engine ( 5 minute at high idle 3000 RPM ) or when my son takes the race car around the block to be sure everything is working properly before a race! People around here are very understanding and I think some of them just like the sound of a British 6 cylinder race engine.

People need to mind their own business and find a hobby or something. When I moved into my neighborhood I was the youngest single person on the street. Everyone on my surrounding blocks were either widowed or 60+ and retired. I moved in had a lifted truck ,Harley, 2 stroke dirt bike and love 4th of July.
Remodeled the entire house from roof to foundation and built a 3car garage. My direct neighbor was a retired tradesman and enjoyed watching me with the remodel. Everyday he would pull up a lawnchair and talk my ear off and comment on what I was doing. Until one day when I laid out the foundation for my new garage. Problem was where I was putting my garage was blocking his view out his window of the street where he would sit all day and watch traffic go by. He went to the village and complained while I was getting the permits. Village said theirs nothing they could do since I was abiding by all the laws and it was my property. I actually went to the neighbor and asked what the grief was. He told me I was blocking off his view so I tried to accommodate him and said if he wanted me to move the garage back the twenty feet into my back yard to give him his view back he would have to pay for the extra 20’ of concrete driveway. I gave him the option and I would have been loosing some backyard space in the process. He said NO so I kept with my plans. Took him a week or so to get over it but he was back to hawkin me and giving advice on the build. They still don’t like when the 4th comes around but hey I clean up my mess and their glued to the window the whole time the fireworks are going. Nothing goes on on my block without the hawks watching. Great watchmen you always feal like your being watched on my street.

I am fortunate to have my nearest neighbors a half mile away. We had an incident with one of them over noise once. He was a mechanical engineering professor at UW and had an ongoing extracurricular project going with a group of students involving souping up off road vehicles. He set up a 1/3 mile dirt track for testing and several times during the summer, he would have the group out for eight hours of testing. The nearest curve was 200 yds from our house and the constant noise from unmuffled engines couldn't be drowned out by the lawn mower.

My wife called up to complain and spoke to his wife. She told my wife that it was a University project to which my wife replied, " fine, I know the chancellor" Five minutes later, the wife was over and five minutes after that, the professor stopped in. His response to the noise we were hearing was that he didn't realize it carried so well. He moved the event to his brother's farm and that was that.

We live in a rural area and noise is a common occurrence. Everyone heats with with wood and has a chainsaw, including me. I have had a couple of three hour sessions this year. We understand that. It is part of the trade-off for living where we do. A couple of neighbors a firearm enthusiasts. One buys ammunition for his AK47 a thousand rounds at a time. Another likes target shooting and some days there is a constant repetition of shots for an hour or more at a time. In winter, there is a snowmobile runabout 200 yards from the house. Although it is set up for public use, we are fortunate that there is little traffic and so far none at 3 AM. Wisconsin got tough on drink sledding some years back so bar hopping on snowmobiles is way down. Being well off the beaten track helps as well.

My biggest complaint is the weekend bike races and tours that stream past our house. Some years ago, when it was thought that Chicago might have a shot at the Olympics, Part of the "Tour" was to have run on our road. Cyclists from all over the midwest started running on our road. An Illinois based company set up a for profit race running past the house. A Madison race called the "Horribly Hilly 100" makes not one but two loops past the house. We would have races or tours every weekend. Off duty cops would be hired to police the events and they would stop regular traffic to let cyclists run, sometimes shutting a road down to all regular traffic. One of our neighbors who farms was told that he could leave his driveway to go to his field with his tractor. For the most part these are people from cities, towns, and suburbs. I can only imagine the uproar that would occur if someone decided to have street drags outside their houses. We finally managed to slow things down. We have a couple of meetings with the county board and some ordinances were passed to regulate these events. The number of events is limited now and permits are required.

The strangest thing though was an event I ran into (nearly literally) coming home from work one evening. I came around a corner to see herds of people on modified skateboards with push poles to simulate cross country skiing. There were several hundred and they were all over the road, four and five abreast and there was no way to pass them. I had to follow them for about a mile to the next intersection where they turned off. I'm not sure what would have happened had there been oncoming traffic. Fortunately, it was a short-lived fad.

RJ, you should move to where I live, in town. It's always quiet in my neighborhood. :)

Back