My Homemade Multi Rib Pulleys To Reduce Vibration And Add A Brake To My G4003g

BTW Its been 8 months now and everything is running perfect. I still haven't got around to installing the brake setup but when I do I will post it.

I have a crazy thought on gear drive headstocks and a brake. I'm wondering if the brake was set to drag if the mysterious finish issues would disappear. Thinking the finish is affected by oscillations in the gears from the motor. Thinking that belt drive lathes have the belt to absorb some of that and so it doesn't show up in the finish as easily on them. The brake would need to be on the spindle to test this theory. Maybe I'm just grasping.

I have a crazy thought on gear drive headstocks and a brake. I'm wondering if the brake was set to drag if the mysterious finish issues would disappear. Thinking the finish is affected by oscillations in the gears from the motor. Thinking that belt drive lathes have the belt to absorb some of that and so it doesn't show up in the finish as easily on them. The brake would need to be on the spindle to test this theory. Maybe I'm just grasping.

I like that theory and it makes sense. With that said though I have never had any finish issues that I have noticed. Something else that might be able to be done is put a hormonic balancer from a car on the back of the spindle and see if that has any positive effect.

About the stands that a couple have brought up. Are you guys saying that some G4003G stands are not cast iron because all the G4003G's that I have seen including mine are cast iron and weight a ton. In fact they look just like the M1112 other than the color.

About the stands that a couple have brought up. Are you guys saying that some G4003G stands are not cast iron because all the G4003G's that I have seen including mine are cast iron and weight a ton. In fact they look just like the M1112 other than the color.

I was under the impression that they were different, but that is only from reading on this site and comments that have been made.
Looking at the grizzly site at the g4003g it says "heavy duty steel stand"
I have been around an older grizzly 12x36 and it has sheet metal stands. It is not the gunsmith version.
I wonder if some were supplied differently depending on availability of cast stands.

I like that theory and it makes sense. With that said though I have never had any finish issues that I have noticed. Something else that might be able to be done is put a hormonic balancer from a car on the back of the spindle and see if that has any positive effect.

I haven't had much finish issues either. With 1018 sure with about anything else no problem.
I like the dampener idea. I think the automotive dampener would be to stiff as it is taking a huge shaking compared to what our lathes are doing.
When I think of a brake to curb the oscillation an antique dynamometer comes to mind where the output power was measured by wrapping the output shaft with a rope or leather strap and then adding weights which added braking effect.

I like that idea. I think it would only work if the brake is on the spindle, with the gears between the motor, and spindle. If the brake was mounted on the motor, or belt input to the head, then you still have the gears between the brake and spindle.

I have also wondered about going to a heavier chuck, say a 10"

Shopfox changed theirs, my base is welded steel. I have been looking at them so long, I forgot I had the base from my friends 4003g. The old 4003g, is definitely cast. Interesting that Shopfox updated their picture, but still show the single piece jaws.

insides.jpg frontg.jpg fronts.jpg frontb.jpg tops.jpg topgg.jpg

I also have a M1112 the build date on it is 12/2011.
I originally ordered the 4003G but they were 4 months out. So I ordered the M1112 and it took 1 month to get it.
The other thing my M1112 has is a cast iron stand. Advertising called it vibration dampening back in 2011.
Not sure if the new ones have that still but if they do then the price difference might make more sense.
I was wrong, mine is also 12/2011. Must have been 3/2012 that I got mine. date.jpg

I remember unpacking my g4003g and the boxes the stands were in had the weight on them and one stand was 250lbs and the other was 300lbs.

I remember unpacking my g4003g and the boxes the stands were in had the weight on them and one stand was 250lbs and the other was 300lbs.

Having worked many years for an LTL (Less then load) trucking company. It is not unusual for items to be marked over the actual weight. Most of the regular companies have a contract, and are billed by the cube, over weight. Weights need to be on the documents, and are used to make sure a truck is not over weight, so many companies will guess way over, or round the figure to the next hundred. I am surprised Grizzley would be so far off.

Sorry for hijacking the thread 737, I'll stop now.

grizzleyspec.JPG
shopfox manual.JPG

Back