My Homemade Multi Rib Pulleys To Reduce Vibration And Add A Brake To My G4003g

+ 1 on the 4003g I haven't had any problems at all. That being said I also had a enco 13x40 made in Taiwan in the 80s that I wasn't impressed with, however it came out of a local machine shop that would run their machines hard and replace all the lathes / mills with new ones from enco about every 5 years. The owner would sell the retirees for whatever he could get for them saying it was cost effective as he would write them off on his taxes.
That said, they are all hit miss depending on the owners view of what is good/bad what is acceptable and what is not , AND YES there are LEMONS out there and if your lucky enough to get one then such as Coolidge :( then your work is cut out for you. Remember After all It is a roll of the dice :( depending on ping & ding having a good day:encourage:

Hello 737mechanic, love your mod to the g4003g. I'm new to the forum so sometimes I may not get the term right, learning. Wondered how you came up with 10 groove poly-v belt. Was it based on HP or just a happen stance?

Read my post and thought I would/should explain "happen stance", no disrespect. Lots of time I will have sometime laying around the shop that I think will do the job. Might be over engineered, somtimes under. Don't know till I try it.
Happen stance!

...YES there are LEMONS out there and if your lucky enough to get one then such as Coolidge :( then your work is cut out for you. Remember After all It is a roll of the dice :( depending on ping & ding having a good day:encourage:
There are some factories where you dread rolling the dice bad and biuying one of the machines that were assembled on a Friday....

and there are some factories where you dread rolling the dice and buying a machine that was assembled on any day between Tuesday and Sunday...

....sometimes the stack up of tolerances makes things work!

Hello 737mechanic, love your mod to the g4003g. I'm new to the forum so sometimes I may not get the term right, learning. Wondered how you came up with 10 groove poly-v belt. Was it based on HP or just a happen stance?
Basically figured if a car engine turning power steering pump, A/C compressor, water pump and alternator could be done by a 5 or 6 groove multirib belt surely a 10 multirib would be more than enough for a 2hp lathe motor. Also if you look I left just enough width so I could add one more groove on each side of the pulleys making them a 12 groove if I noticed any slipping.

BTW Its been 8 months now and everything is running perfect. I still haven't got around to installing the brake setup but when I do I will post it.

Basically figured if a car engine turning power steering pump, A/C compressor, water pump and alternator could be done by a 5 or 6 groove multirib belt surely a 10 multirib would be more than enough for a 2hp lathe motor. Also if you look I left just enough width so I could add one more groove on each side of the pulleys making them a 12 groove if I noticed any slipping.

BTW Its been 8 months now and everything is running perfect. I still haven't got around to installing the brake setup but when I do I will post it.

The one thing you are over looking, is the belt contact with the drive pulley (crankshaft pulley), most cars it is probably around 5 to 8 inches, vs your approx 2". But then , an alternator, A/C comp, and water pump can easily add up to 20 to 30 HP, vs your 2hp, and the big gear reduction of the driven gear ratio.

I have had a Shopfox, M1112, since 2011. It is the same machine as the 4003G (Who knows if quality is the same, better, or worse), and have run it hard without any hiccups or burps. If I were to do it again, I would buy either machine. Wow!, I just looked up the prices. $3625 for the Grizzly, VS $4729 for the Shopfox. When I bought mine, ($32xx sticks in my mind), it was under $50 more for the Shopfox, and it has the coolant pump built in that the Grizzly does not, that was my deciding factor. Even though I have never used it.

I thing I would like, is a lower bottom speed.

The one thing you are over looking, is the belt contact with the drive pulley (crankshaft pulley), most cars it is probably around 5 to 8 inches, vs your approx 2". But then , an alternator, A/C comp, and water pump can easily add up to 20 to 30 HP, vs your 2hp, and the big gear reduction of the driven gear ratio.

Didn't overlook it, thats why I went 10 rib instead of 5 or 6.

I have had a Shopfox, M1112, since 2011. It is the same machine as the 4003G (Who knows if quality is the same, better, or worse), and have run it hard without any hiccups or burps. If I were to do it again, I would buy either machine. Wow!, I just looked up the prices. $3625 for the Grizzly, VS $4729 for the Shopfox. When I bought mine, ($32xx sticks in my mind), it was under $50 more for the Shopfox, and it has the coolant pump built in that the Grizzly does not, that was my deciding factor. Even though I have never used it.

I looked at the shop fox and if I could have found the shopfox for the same price I would have went with the shopfox only because it comes with coolant pump but the best deal I could find on the shopfox was $1000.00 more than the G4003G and I wasn't going to spend the extra $1000.00 for a $100.00 coolant system.

I thing I would like, is a lower bottom speed.

Agree and I was going to make the larger pulley 6in. to 6.5in. so the speeds would have been lower as I hardly ever use the top speed anyway but couldn't find a decent deal on a piece of steel or aluminum that size so ended up keeping it the same size as original.

I also have a M1112 the build date on it is 12/2011.
I originally ordered the 4003G but they were 4 months out. So I ordered the M1112 and it took 1 month to get it.
The other thing my M1112 has is a cast iron stand. Advertising called it vibration dampening back in 2011.
Not sure if the new ones have that still but if they do then the price difference might make more sense.

I also have a M1112 the build date on it is 12/2011.
I originally ordered the 4003G but they were 4 months out. So I ordered the M1112 and it took 1 month to get it.
The other thing my M1112 has is a cast iron stand. Advertising called it vibration dampening back in 2011.
Not sure if the new ones have that still but if they do then the price difference might make more sense.
Mine is 3/2011. Had it in about a week. Then took another few weeks to get it in the shop, and setup.

Did not even think about the stands, A friend has a 4003G that is a few months older then my M1112, I'll have to compare the stands.

Back