My first lathe

Damn, looks great! So awesome that it's got factory speed control, lol.

Go Canada!

Any specific projects planned for it?

-Jamie M.

Aluminum stash jars, and well as cigarette snuffers, plus any work i can get to walk through my door. I work at a sealing company so we make a lot of back-up rings and other very simple parts as well as modifying small rubber parts. Im trying to get them to send some work home with me.

Aluminum stash jars, and well as cigarette snuffers, plus any work i can get to walk through my door. I work at a sealing company so we make a lot of back-up rings and other very simple parts as well as modifying small rubber parts. Im trying to get them to send some work home with me.
Sounds great! Good luck with all your projects! Mine is primarily for making 40mm inert ammo but the gun range is closed with Covid-19 so the lathe is sitting idle for a bit :(

jWPyPi.jpg

-Jamie M.

Hey all, i got my first lathe today. Its a king canada 7x12 i just finished lubing and adjusting it. Getting ready to take my first cut!!
a man needs a small machine as well as a big one, good fer you

I think you want to use a non-detergent oil for lube. The detergent in motor oil suspends the dirt particles in the oil for the filter to take out. I think you want something that lets the dirt fall to the bottom so they don't circulate in the components and cause wear. I use Mobil Vactra Way oil on my 1944 Atlas/Craftsman lathe. I live near LMS, so I got the big jug.

I'm glad to hear you're liking the King Canada, since I'm in the market for a lathe and as you know it's one of the only real options up here. :)

My advise would be to forget the carbide and learn to grind HSS tools. The HSS will cut better in these tiny lathes. Also, though many would think I am crazy, a solid tool post like the four position which came with the lathe is more ridgid by far than the quick change tool post. Position the compound so that the tool post is centered on the cross slide and tighten the compound gibs for maximum rigidity. Those little 7" lathes are good little machines if you keep them adjusted and use them properly.

Back