My first lathe

deadwat3r

Registered
Registered
Hey all, i got my first lathe today. Its a king canada 7x12 i just finished lubing and adjusting it. Getting ready to take my first cut!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 984
Well done!
As @darkzero said, we love pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pics, it never happened......... :no no no:

well that little machine sure can cut! out of the box the adjustment is great. a little slop in the compound but otherwise nothing moves much at all. I don't have much in the way of tooling. only one right hand indexable cutter and a right hand brazed carbide cutter, I have a 3/8 brazed carbide boring bar set and they all cut great. I have a question on lubrication though. I follow little machine shops lubrication chart for the where and the when, I have been using 3 in 1 whit lithium spray grease, and for oil I have been using Valvoline conventional 10w40. little machine shop recommends mobile 1 synthetic. I plan to get a bottle of this soon, but its almost 16 bucks a bottle. I know it will last a long time but the Valvoline was $2.50 and they actually had stock the day I bought the lathe. should I switch as soon as I can or can I get away with using the rest of this bottle. I will be using this lathe every day for multiple hours likely, It sounds like I may be able to bring some small jobs home from work if I can get this machine running well enough and have enough tooling. I just ordered a set of carbide tools from amazon for dirt cheap, just to see how it goes. here's a pic of the tools.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    372.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I use ISO-32 hydraulic oil from the tractor supply for nearly everything on my 1916 mill and 1937 lathe.
I bet you can find that in Alberta! :)

-brino

Damn, looks great! So awesome that it's got factory speed control, lol.

Go Canada!

Any specific projects planned for it?

-Jamie M.

Back