My first lathe! What model is it? Pics!

I believe I am missing these? Anyone have some dimensions for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Sears-Cra...059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e92fa5873

Also the compound gears... But I think I can 3D print those.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:143893

On the eighth picture from the end of your run of photos , you have a shot of one of the gear retaining bolts sitting in the banjo C/W nut and washer ( almost dead in nthe centre of the picture ) . My lathe was missing one of these complete bushing sets ..ideally you need three to get a big range of gear trains /ratios as well as two of the alloy ferrules with the driving keys cast on them ( your eBay link )picture ).

I measured up one of the gear retainers & ferrule that was on the lathe then wrote down the dimension and recorded the measurements , checking them twice on the parts to ensure I hadn't made any errors ( A long dead old engineers tip ).
Using a 1/2 dia long shanked mild steel coach bolt , these have a square on the shank just under the domed head to stop the bolt turning when fastened in wood & that is ideal for our purposes .
I turned the unthreaded shank to the correct dimensions of the retaining bolt .... don't turn off the square shank .
Cut it at the correct length & threaded the end to the correct length , filing down the square of the coach bolt evenly on each side using a " hand safe edge file " , it has no teeth on one of the edge so it wont file from that face ).

Make sure it fits in the banjo's slot in all four planes by rotating it and testing the fit . Then I turned off some of the domed head to make the head the same size as the original bolt .. had to centre drill the dome and use a cut away dead centre to get the tool in to do it It was easier to initial dimension the bolt for the ferrule , threading & length using the chuck at the threaded end and the head in the dead centre. The full domed head was turned to a " 5/16 thick cheese head with a dome @ 9 /16 " dia "
Then the finished dome head was turned down with the new bolt end set close in the chuck , avoiding putting the threaded part in the chuck jaws . Had I given it any thought I could have done this whilst the bolt was still in chuck and held on the cut away dead centre as there was sufficient clearance .

The hollow top hat / ferrule / bearing was turned to the correct dimensions taking the last five cuts at a very fine cut & at a high speed then polished with a fine wet & dry . It was finally burnished with liquid brasso ( liquid stainless steel sink cleaner will work but it's not as good because there is no oil in it ) on some thick solid cardboard.

When making this ferrule make sure it will be long enough to work with all the gears . The first one I made was two thou too short and as a result a couple of the gears were nipped when I tightened the retaining nut on the anchor bolt whilst the gear was set in th banjo slot .... resulting in a semi solid gear instead of a free turning on . . You need washers on the bolt under the retaining nut to stop the gear coming off . Use the correct dimension washer under the retaining nut , make sure it is a true flat washer & not partially counter sunk or twisted , even if you have to turn them up your self .
Lubricate the ferrule inside & outside when assembling them in the gear and make sure that there is no crud on the anchor bolt that will cause the ferrule to bind .

When making up a gear train have everything finger tight and gently pull each set to be tightened towards the front of the lathe so it meshes easily but positively with the other gears then gently nip its retaining nut tight ( Don't do a gorilla job on it because the threads are quite thin ) .

Everything was now ready to build a desired gear train .
When I made up my 97 TPI train & had every thing set , meshed and tightened it was rather noisy to run so I used spray on ( rattle can ) white grease and copper grease out of a 1 pound tub . It was heavily spread on & into the gears with a long spatula of wood I'd cut on my band saw whilst the lathe was stopped , did this with the headstock casings gears as well .. it now runs amazingly quiet .

Last edited:
Wow just WOW! Very helpful! I was actually just emailed the dimensions of the bushins as well! Soon I will be a screw cutting son of a....!!!!! : )

Thank you very much! I will document this build to help future owners with this problem. I should get at her next week when I get my drill chuck and hopefully my uncle will find his brand new quickchange tool post!

Going to clean and play for a while! Thanks again!

I might be calling it the wrong thing. The cross feed and compound have dials. The other one pictured in my 2nd pic. That is the one I am referring too.

Ill check out the tool grinding section. That makes sense I guess. I just wasn't sure if something was wrong with it.

Ok my tail stock.... What taper fits in there? I want to find a drill chuck and live center for it. Right now its just the shaft with measurements. Its open on the inside and I'm not sure how it would hold anything? I'll try and get some pics tonight to explain.

I'll get to those greasy bearings asap.

One more thing... My ways. The carriage gets really tough to move on the far half of travel. I assume it was used mostly near the chuck and broke in well. Would my best bet be to lap the other half?

You can make your own live centre for the lathe . I made mine as follows :-

.Out of some 2 " dia x 6 " long mild steel bar I turned the bar out as a 1& 1/4 " deep cup in a 2 " long section to an interference fit with a sealed 1& 1/4 " OD , 1/2" ID dia 5/8 wide reasonably high grade bearing that will take a bit of thrust in any direction ( got a set of four out of a damaged disabled persons wheel chair ) . Then turned the outer face to 1& 1/2 " ... turned a 1& 1/2 " long by 1/2 " tail on the opposite end .

Made an interference fit stepped collared centre point @ 45 degree point 5/8 major dia and of course 1/2 " minor where it will fit in the bearing , made out of a stainless steel tensile concrete anchor bolt I had in the filing cabinets , the length protruding forward of th stepped collar is about 3/4 ".

Assembly was simple , I put the stainless point in the freezer @ minus 21 oC for 1/2 hr.. to shrink it a tad , it slipped into the bearing with a gentle press from a hammer & a 1/4 predrilled hole over the point ....used a bit of 4x4 x6 inch thick plastic separator block out of a pallet truck pallet.

This was then slipped back in the freezer for another half hour , towards the end of the half hour I boiled up the electric kettle and poured the boiling water over the tailed cup whilst it was in a sauce pan , brought it to the boil for a few minutes , tipped out the water , took it to the garage and with oven gloves on slopped it in a predrilled plastic block so it sat cup uppermost , took the point & bearing assembly out the freezer and tapped point facing outwards into the cupped holder using the hammer & other block again.

It is reasonably accurate.. slightly slack & sloppy when it is in no load condition but when under pressure in a correctly aligned lathe the bearing inner is pressed back against the precision ground outer race face and runs exceedingly accurate.

I'm currently running the home made live centre in a half inch jawed heavy duty chuck set in a Morse taper in the tail stock ,this does give a bit of inaccuracy , but as yet nothing that is critical.
later when I have some free dosh i will buy a sealed taper bearing of the same dimensions remake the centre as well as turning up a mild steel Morse taper with a 1/2 " parallel centre hole .

To fit the modified tail in the hole of the Morse I will heat the taper with boiling water like before and freeze the live bearing part , smear the tail of the live part in some super glue and use my home made 12 ton press to put them together .

Wow just WOW! Very helpful! I was actually just emailed the dimensions of the bushins as well! Soon I will be a screw cutting son of a....!!!!! : )

Thank you very much! I will document this build to help future owners with this problem. I should get at her next week when I get my drill chuck and hopefully my uncle will find his brand new quickchange tool post!

Going to clean and play for a while! Thanks again!

In one of the pictures that you show the gears laid out on a table top towards the middle there is a strange sort of " W "looking shaped metal plate .. that looks a lot like a thread angle gauge. It's used to check that you have ground the cutting tools to the correct angles ready for thread cutting on the lathe. When it's de rusted and rubbed to a polish with a bit of wire wool & " Brasso " it would not surprise me if you find it is engraved or stamped with the various angles on each part .

Nice lathe, "What about the tailstock? I'll get some pics of the inside. What fits on there?" it should be a morris taper of some size maybe MT 3 or MT 4 ? It looks like the drill bit laying in one of your pics will fit the tail stock bore. There are many tools that can be mounted to the tail stock, things like centers, drills, reamers, rotory broaches and the like are some that come to mind. Mark

The tailstock ram has a #2 Morse taper bore on all Atlas 9" and larger. The spindle taper is #3 Morse.

Well, I'm almost a neighbor of yours also. I am in Ogema Wi., about 1-1/2 hours north east of Chippewa. I will be following your progress, I have a TH54 that I am trying to figure out and go through piece by piece. Thanks for all the pics, nice to compare yours to mine. I'm anxious to see how the Evaporust works for you, I have a few parts needing some attention. And thanks to all you guys answering his questions, some of his questions are some of the same questions I have. I'm a newbie here and already learning a ton, thanks everyone. Again good job stevos758, looking forward to more.

Nice! Buy evaporust! It works but only soaking parts. If you are doing anything large I think electrolysis is the way to go. I gtg I'll post more later. If you look above the 4 jaw chuck was soaked in evaporust for 24 hours. Its impresive stuff

Did you buy the Evaporust around the Eauclaire/Chippewa area? I get there often and would like to find some to try out. The chuck looks great, that is one thing needing some attention on my lathe.

I ordered mine from amazon. I am told harbor freight has it. Check out the one in eau Claire. I would think they carry it.

Back