My first lathe! What model is it? Pics!

Can someone get me some detailed picks of the gears setup? I think I might be missing some pieces. I cut my first chips! Pics to come later.

Ordered some evapo rust after I got to cleaning some. She really needs it.

First cut!

PuKW56sl.jpg

PuKW56sl.jpg

Ok more pics. At this point I'll see what the evaporust does. What does everyone suggest for the ways? How can I bring them back?

Now hear is everything I have for the gears. am I missing parts? It seems I am possible missing some bushings? Or perhaps the wrong hardware is on the machine?

What about the tailstock? I'll get some pics of the inside. What fits on there?

Anything you guys can do to help!

LXpyITyl.jpg
I7VVUT8l.jpg
SPmjY8Xl.jpg
9Zj3vTsl.jpg
CQeNDigl.jpg
cxVcyutl.jpg
x5qYXWpl.jpg
CaSQw9Wl.jpg
ssXZ163l.jpg
kdztTODl.jpg
leApbucl.jpg
AEZf79Ql.jpg
hkezQezl.jpg
lVyIhgKl.jpg
VwPNJEnl.jpg
gICAW7Jl.jpg
JvXo3vUl.jpg

LXpyITyl.jpg

I7VVUT8l.jpg

SPmjY8Xl.jpg

9Zj3vTsl.jpg

CQeNDigl.jpg

cxVcyutl.jpg

x5qYXWpl.jpg

CaSQw9Wl.jpg

ssXZ163l.jpg

kdztTODl.jpg

leApbucl.jpg

AEZf79Ql.jpg

hkezQezl.jpg

lVyIhgKl.jpg

VwPNJEnl.jpg

gICAW7Jl.jpg

JvXo3vUl.jpg

Ideally buy or build a tub to soak the bed, and buy some more Evaporust
soak the bed and everything else at the same time. The ER will remove rust, grease and most everything else except paint and metal

Ohh! That sounds expensive! Was looking at electrolysis too. Might be more cost effective? I suppose I could build a long shallow tub and just dip the ways in? The rest is actually not bad. What should I coat with after? Wd40?

The V-42 is a 10F model with babbit bearings (they could still be ordered up to about 1945). The 10D has the double-handle crank on the compound feed screw instead of the small thumbwheel that yours has. My estimate is that it is a Model 1042 from sometime in 1934. There is a photo of it in Atlas Catalog No. 8.

FWIW, the horizontal countershaft came out with the 10F circa 1938/9.

I forgot I have a friend who has access to a large surface grinder. Should I even have thoughts of doing that in my head?

The ways don't look that bad from here. Soak them in Evaporust (I'd use phosphoric acid) and then check them over. You can make a soaking trough out of plastic film plus some boards and bricks and stuff.

[Edit] As those are square ways parts of the edges and undersides matter as well.

The ways don't look that bad from here. Soak them in Evaporust (I'd use phosphoric acid) and then check them over. You can make a soaking trough out of plastic film plus some boards and bricks and stuff.

Do you think I could just keep coating the ways with it every 15 minutes or so for a few hours or would this be a lost cause?

Back