My Cnc Conversion

Nice! making progress on the conversion.

The main thing is getting it put back together so I can use the mill, I have to turn a spacer for the new bearings on the y housing, and grind it in to .120 these AC bearings are somewhat confusing to setup properly so I can get a little preload, the prototrak manual shows a different housing Tha I have, there lay the confusion lol, turns out the used housings I got have 6204 bearings.... and the y axis were a little loose. The x bearings were good so I roll with them for now. The 7204 AC bearings are .118 thinner so the bearing retainer doesn't retain the bearings.

Y axis work, made a spacer to place the pulley an acceptable distance from the housing wall, then had to modify the dial holder, I took off as much as I could and still left something for the dial to push up against. Then I had to remove about .125 from the dials inside flange to get it as close to the cover plate as I wanted. The dial is cast iron, yuck. Now I just have to make the screw extention for the y screw and then the mill can be used to make the motor adapters. Still have to make room for the belt inside both housings. That will be Monday probably.
20151017_183011.jpg 20151017_183037.jpg 20151017_183055.jpg

Looking good chevydyl,
Are you going to use a nesting or folding type hand wheel for the Y axis?, your twins might appreciate it hahaha The Lagun's Y axis hand wheel is at crotch level.

Looking good chevydyl,
Are you going to use a nesting or folding type hand wheel for the Y axis?, your twins might appreciate it hahaha The Lagun's Y axis hand wheel is at crotch level.
:+1: mine only got me once, just in the leg. I forgot to fold the handle in. Won't do that again, now its kind of like never leaving the chuck key in the the chuck.

Last edited:
Folding hand wheels.... $200.00
Preserving the twins.....Priceless
Hahah just busting your chops brother.
Can't wait to see your finished machine.

Hahaha, I have enough kids already. Well wait, the wife wants another.....
The motor adapters are 4x4x1 alu, I will bore a hole on the mill, then face the motor pilot in on the lathe, 4jaw status. No rotab. All said and done I will have close to 3500 into the coversion, I'll tally it up later. Cost won't include all the time I put into 'making things work'

More updates. Motor adapter. Annular cutter is a badass lol.
Then facing the pilot. So, the motor will Bolt to the adapter, then the from the other side the adapter gets bolted to the motor housing. The mill is still setup to do the other adapter, but maaaaan that was alot of boring on the mill, I'm gonna get the other adapter to this same stage and then will drill the holes and tap for fixing the motor to the adapter, the I will install the belt and mark the proper location for the housing bolts.
20151018_000532.jpg 20151018_012925.jpg 20151018_014252.jpg

Back