My Atlas 618 lathe restoration

Well guys, it's done! Kinda. I still have to paint it, but I can't do that until spring. I bought a four jaw chuck and another used chip guard on ebay, because I didn't like the "new" chip guard. I mounted it on 3/4" MDF and 1/2" shelf board. Also, I am using a motor from a garage door opener. It doesn't have the starting capacitor, so I have to hand start it (yes dangerous!).

I still have to get the DC tredmill up and running. I'm going to need help on that guys. I need to know how to get it powered. I've read a little about how to do it, but I need more help from electric experts.

If you want to see my chips flying, you can see it on youtube. Thank you very much........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPymV9nuwxY

DSC_0326.JPG DSC_0336.JPG

Great restoration you have there. I was very fortunate that my 618 appeared to be rarrely used. Here's how it looked when I got it...
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceN9EpcDQq8[/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]It's really come in handy for me as I repair and replicate vintage percussion instruments.
[/FONT]

Great restoration you have there. I was very fortunate that my 618 appeared to be rarrely used. Here's how it looked when I got it...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceN9EpcDQq8

It's really come in handy for me as I repair and replicate vintage percussion instruments.

Thank you very much! I can't wait 'til srping to paint it. I tried to see yours, but the link sends me to a mobil desktop page and I can't see the vid. Thanks again....ps my sister lives in Canton:)

Nice work on the restoration. If I were you I would get some round brass or aluminum rod to practice on, you will have a much easier time turning that. The interrupted cut you are taking on the steel bolt might be asking a bit much of that lathe. Shawn

Thank you Shawn. I'm looking for a place to buy stock rite now. I can't wait to turn real metal........

That is one of the best mods you can make to the 618!! When I first got the 618 I used the lantern tool post and ground my own bits. Done it and got the T shirt but was so glad to move on.
I bought mine from LMS and it came with several sizes of 0 nuts (like T nuts just round):lmao:. One was just a little tight in the cross slide and I filed it down to fit. It never moved. Not sure if you need a perfect fit as long as the QCTP stays tight. I see that most people mill down the T nut slightly lower than the top of the cross slide just to make sure that the QCTP will be tight to the cross slide and not the T nut.

Just FYI Arthur Warner Co sells indexable HSS bits and holders that will perform a zillion percent better than carbide inserts do on the small 618. That was my secret to getting a good finish on a small machine.:shush:

Tripletap3 I'm finally ready for the indexable HSS bits. I got some chips under my belt and want to try for a better finish. I have no idea what indexable HSS bits are, but could you please help me get some? I went to the Arthur Warner website, but I don't know where to find what I'm looking for. Also, do I need special holders for them, or will they work on my QCTP holders. Thank you in advance for any of your help........

Hello,
I am new here. I just got my 6" Craftsman/Atlas lathe back together. I took it apart 17 years ago and for various reason could not get back to it. I really enjoy using it.
I wanted to pass this along. Maybe it is old news but, might prove helpful to some. Vintage Machinery has many publications that have been scanned and posted in pdf format. I use it to download and print out original manuals or parts lists, etc. You have to sign up but it is amazing what info is there. Here is a link:

http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

I have downloaded a flyer that has pictures of the taper attachment and if you ever want to build your own, this is a nice things to look at for reference. Hope this is useful to everyone.
Paul

Hello,
I am new here. I just got my 6" Craftsman/Atlas lathe back together. I took it apart 17 years ago and for various reason could not get back to it. I really enjoy using it.
I wanted to pass this along. Maybe it is old news but, might prove helpful to some. Vintage Machinery has many publications that have been scanned and posted in pdf format. I use it to download and print out original manuals or parts lists, etc. You have to sign up but it is amazing what info is there. Here is a link:

http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

I have downloaded a flyer that has pictures of the taper attachment and if you ever want to build your own, this is a nice things to look at for reference. Hope this is useful to everyone.
Paul

Thank you very much Paul! I will do that.....

Where did you get those red belts on your lathe that are in your videos? What size are they? I just bought a 618 after watching your youtube vids.

Mcmaster/Carr sells them. I also put one on my 618. They are 3/8 inch wide.

Paul

xanaphyst: fastback is right. I got it from McMaster-Carr. I bought 1/4", 3/8", and 5/16". I used the 3/8" and 5/16". They look great and are very quiet. Right now I have a regular v-belt on the motor pulley and a green link belt on the spindle. I was "stalling" (headstock stopped and belts slipping) the lathe with the round belts and was trying to figure out why. The round belts are very inexpensive (right around a $1 per foot). Good luck and Thank you for the comment!

Back