My Atlas 618 lathe restoration

I'm just throwing in my encouragement. I love to see old things restored to working order.

-Ryan

stevecmo and Ryan: Thank you so much! I NEED the encouragement! I hope to have it running this week. Keep your fingers crossed.......

This is my old Atlas 618 it was my first lathe. I had restored it to prestine condition but this photo was taken after 10 years of use. Cutting fluids and cleaning take a toll on the paint. I do miss her but I am sure she is in a good place. Lots of good info and download files on the Yahoo Atlas/Craftsman 618 group.

atlas 618 (1).jpgatlas 618.jpg

atlas 618 (1).jpg atlas 618.jpg

Tripletap3: Thank you very much! What a beautiful machine! And I'm restoring mine to use, just like you. I had it running tonite for the first time. I just used the tail stock to drill. I hope to have it all together real soon.

I have the the same quick change tool post. Do you remember what you had to do to connect it to the cross slide? I don't have a perfect fit and just wondered if you had to make a t-bolt. Thanks again.......

Tripletap3: I have the the same quick change tool post. Do you remember what you had to do to connect it to the cross slide? I don't have a perfect fit and just wondered if you had to make a t-bolt. Thanks again.......

That is one of the best mods you can make to the 618!! When I first got the 618 I used the lantern tool post and ground my own bits. Done it and got the T shirt but was so glad to move on.
I bought mine from LMS and it came with several sizes of 0 nuts (like T nuts just round):lmao:. One was just a little tight in the cross slide and I filed it down to fit. It never moved. Not sure if you need a perfect fit as long as the QCTP stays tight. I see that most people mill down the T nut slightly lower than the top of the cross slide just to make sure that the QCTP will be tight to the cross slide and not the T nut.

Just FYI Arthur Warner Co sells indexable HSS bits and holders that will perform a zillion percent better than carbide inserts do on the small 618. That was my secret to getting a good finish on a small machine.:shush:

Hey jster,

I've got a few of my father's and grandfather's tools, and I cherish them all in spite of how beat up many of them are (I assume that's not a weird thing to admit around here.) So I'm just kind of curious. Did your lathe get used a lot in its past life, and how did it end up in it's former condition? And is your father excited to see it operational again? Just wondering.

-Ryan

That is one of the best mods you can make to the 618!! When I first got the 618 I used the lantern tool post and ground my own bits. Done it and got the T shirt but was so glad to move on.
I bought mine from LMS and it came with several sizes of 0 nuts (like T nuts just round):lmao:. One was just a little tight in the cross slide and I filed it down to fit. It never moved. Not sure if you need a perfect fit as long as the QCTP stays tight. I see that most people mill down the T nut slightly lower than the top of the cross slide just to make sure that the QCTP will be tight to the cross slide and not the T nut.

Just FYI Arthur Warner Co sells indexable HSS bits and holders that will perform a zillion percent better than carbide inserts do on the small 618. That was my secret to getting a good finish on a small machine.:shush:

Thank you so much! I'm going to have to do the same thing to make my QCTP work. I was just scared that a I might need a t-bolt and not the round one. Also, I'm going to take your advice and get the HSS from Arthur Warner co. I just have to learn what inserts to buy. Thanks again......

Hey jster,

I've got a few of my father's and grandfather's tools, and I cherish them all in spite of how beat up many of them are (I assume that's not a weird thing to admit around here.) So I'm just kind of curious. Did your lathe get used a lot in its past life, and how did it end up in it's former condition? And is your father excited to see it operational again? Just wondering.

-Ryan

I'm not sure what my father did to get it in this condition. I know it spent YEARS in his barn and garage. I know he had it when I was a child, but he never got it to work well. My father could never afford to get all of the parts he needed to get his machines to work correctly. So, I'm hoping he can enjoy seeing it work right. He has health issues, so I keeping my fingers crossed that he can enjoy it.

Thanks for the reply......

Back