MX210 D/S MT5 8x16 lathe review

Hello site.is this considered necro postimg? It's an older thread but quite relevant if you asked me.

I know nothing about this newer crop of 8 x 16 lathes. I obtained a considerably older 8 1/2 x 18 Harbor Fright lathe and am getting it set up.

I will say of the 8 x 16s I've looked at on the net, the MX400 / WM220V variant seems like it may be a better choice. But it's not currently for sale anywhere in the US as far as I can tell. Warco in the UK may have something similar. The major reasons I'm looking at them at all is a) they look kind of pretty, and b) I have an old incomplete lathe in that size category for which I may be able to use parts. It's probably a dead end as you really can't obtain parts for these things.

Hello site.is this considered necro postimg? It's an older thread but quite relevant if you asked me.

I know nothing about this newer crop of 8 x 16 lathes. I obtained a considerably older 8 1/2 x 18 Harbor Fright lathe and am getting it set up.

I will say of the 8 x 16s I've looked at on the net, the MX400 / WM220V variant seems like it may be a better choice. But it's not currently for sale anywhere in the US as far as I can tell. Warco in the UK may have something similar. The major reasons I'm looking at them at all is a) they look kind of pretty, and b) I have an old incomplete lathe in that size category for which I may be able to use parts. It's probably a dead end as you really can't obtain parts for these things.

Got any photos?

As a former owner of a WM210, I can say that build quality is everything. My machine had a lot of build issues which made usage less than ideal. Hopefully, your machine is better...

Central Machinery 31316 (not mine, mime is a mess at the moment). At bottom of post.

The incomplete beat up lathe I also have is a Prazi SD400. 7.5" x 16 maybe. It sustained significant shipping damage, but anything can be fixed, right? :)

I also have most of an eight inch South Bend workshop lathe. And other odds and ends.
img_20190820_150611_442.jpg

I will say of the 8 x 16s I've looked at on the net, the MX400 / WM220V variant seems like it may be a better choice. But it's not currently for sale anywhere in the US as far as I can tell. Warco in the UK may have something similar.
I'm in close contact with a manufacturer that is about to introduce their new 2040 (8 x 16) lathe. The differentiation is that it has a 4 speeds pulley drive, 320 rpm in max reduction, so lots of torque where is most needed. That is with a brushed motor hence modest cost also.
They are combing out quality issues and will sell directly in the USA "soon".

The major reasons I'm looking at them at all is a) they look kind of pretty, and b) I have an old incomplete lathe in that size category for which I may be able to use parts. It's probably a dead end as you really can't obtain parts for these things.
There are too many variations, but if any part of the new model can be used on that old one, I can get it for you now.

Are dimensions or better yet drawings available?

It may seem like a tall order, but everything (should) start with a drawing. With Chiwanese stuff who knows :). I'm probably best off just buying durabar or whatever and machining the parts. But I won't rule out a ready made part. Depends on price also.

Are dimensions or better yet drawings available?

The below as sold by the infamous vevor. it is the 180 * 350 mm, also made in 200m swing and soon in 400mm between centers.
The pulleys system is patented to prevent others (please don't laugh) from copying it.

it_TSJSCCYSDJ1806AD7V2_original_img-v7_metal-lathe-f3.jpg
It may seem like a tall order, but everything (should) start with a drawing.

Oh, they draw everything. The big issues are other, don't get me started.

With Chiwanese stuff who knows

I've seen some Taiwanese items for the first time at an Asian trade fair past week, They are well made and often innovative and technological. but command three times the prices of the mainland ones, something which isn't fair. But people in Asia buys from Japan or Taiwan without a doubt when possible.

Am I to understand that this current (or previous) crop of 8 x 16s have an aluminum tailstock.

So what's missing on the HF machine? Looks pretty complete to me from the earlier pic
Change gears? You can probably find 'em

Last edited:
Back