MX210 D/S MT5 8x16 lathe review

it says mt5 but I tried the only mt5 thing I had and it didn't fit. I didn't spend much time on it though and put the chuck back on. It is strange that mine came with 3 jaw and a 4 jaw self centering chucks.

Thanks, mine only came with the 5" 3 jaw. I was going to buy something mt5 but seems a waste to buy something to test fit if it might not fit.

Anyone else know if mt5 actually fits?

Last edited:
I just made a block to replace the compound slide and I still can't seem to get any rigidity. my little 7x10 lathe is much more rigid! I'm planning on talking the spindle out to see if it in fact actually has roller bearings. All the chatter when parting seems to be coming from the headstock at this point so I'm not sure what else to do :(. Worst tool I've purchased in a while.

so i ended up pulling the spindle. There was grinding dust thick in the bearing seats. The wear patter on the roller bearings was top on one half, bottom on the other half. This seems to indicate there was something pushing them out of square. The rear of the boar where the back of the bearing seated had huge burrs. Every surface stacked up on the spindle had burrs, the gear, the spacer with the magnets, the pulley and both of the nuts.

I figured I had nothing to loose by re-assembling it after deburring everything. I used a die grinder stone to deburr the bearing boar seats by hand. I couldn't really do much about the inside where the seals were. it was like 60 grit sandpaper on the inside of the headstock. I "lapped' all the components with 320 grit on a surface plate. I chucked some of them up in my other lathe to deburr some edges. The seals actually were not that bad, too bad they don't help squaring anything. I used a chunk of 1.5" aluminum to tap out the bearing races and I cleaned them up with all the other parts in the ultrasonic cleaner. The rear bearing got dropped on the floor and about 3 oz of chips were on there when I picked it up so I ended up putting that in the cleaner also. All i had was white lithium grease so I packed that in the rear bearing and reassembled everything. I also noticed that the bearing races had to be tapped into the start of the bore but they spun freely by hand when fully seated in the bore. This made me think it could have been one of the sources of chatter. I added quite a bit of preload (figuring I had nothing to lose). I ran it for about 10 minutes and it didn't get warm or hot.

The rebuild seems to have helped though I'm not sure what had the most impact. I did a test part on steel and I was able to feed it without chatter. I have about 0.3mm of taper over 150mm which isn't great and i'm not sure how to fix that. the milling on the bottom of the headstock was an awfull mess. the casting was very pourus and felt like velcro to the finger. I stoned it down and knocked off some of the really bad high spots but it still had some teeter/twist. It was also odd that I preloaded the bearings before i put the headstock back on the bed. When I tightened it to the bed I ended up needing to add more preload so I'm assuming the twist was somewhat straightened and relieved some stress on the bearings. not really sure but it wasn't exactly a scraped surface. A file may have done a better job actually.

I think my HF7x10 lathe is actually still more rigid without the roller bearings or larger bed... The only thing good about this lathe so far is the 1.5" spindle bore and the chucks it came with, though it still strikes me odd that it came with both a 3 and 4 jaw self centering. I bought a 6" independent 4 jaw but it's mt5 taper back plate doesn't fit and I havn't bothered to make a new back plate for it yet.

Many questions:

First, I see the Harbor freight 7x10 mentioned a few times above. It's locally about 570 with me thinking I can use their 20% discount coupon to put it in the price range of an ebay competitor. It seems none of the mini lathes anywhere have 4 star plus reviews. Is this more because they are nearly all poorly built or because they are mostly bought by people not prepared for the ride or is it because I am looking in the sub $1k price range?

Is the HF 7x10 better than the $70 cheaper HF 7x12 available only online?

I see a few members sharing what appear to be hands on experience with the WM210V. I really am drawn to the 1.5" or 38mm Spindle bore. Still I see a lot of comments regarding runout or alignment problems. Is this the go to budget lathe for spindle bore > 1"?

Is the WM210V a good choice or should I be looking for a more painful acquisition with expectations of a more pleasant future?

Many questions:

First, I see the Harbor freight 7x10 mentioned a few times above. It's locally about 570 with me thinking I can use their 20% discount coupon to put it in the price range of an ebay competitor. It seems none of the mini lathes anywhere have 4 star plus reviews. Is this more because they are nearly all poorly built or because they are mostly bought by people not prepared for the ride or is it because I am looking in the sub $1k price range?

Is the HF 7x10 better than the $70 cheaper HF 7x12 available only online?

I see a few members sharing what appear to be hands on experience with the WM210V. I really am drawn to the 1.5" or 38mm Spindle bore. Still I see a lot of comments regarding runout or alignment problems. Is this the go to budget lathe for spindle bore > 1"?

Is the WM210V a good choice or should I be looking for a more painful acquisition with expectations of a more pleasant future?

It really comes down to how you want to spend your time and how you value your time. Plenty to learn with this "kit" but if you don't want to fight the machine all the time I'd pick something else. If you value your time at say $50/hour then this is a real money pit. I bet I have 20 hours into mine. Something as simple as changing the speed can be a whole project since you have to take the back panel off to access the screw for the pulley... The banjo doesn't actually work for most of the metric threading pitches I needed. I've detailed most of the problems i've had but I'm sure I forgot a few hours of miscellaneous chores I didn't really want to deal with.

All that said the 7x10 lathe isn't exactly a cure. Mine was an older model and I think I got lucky both on the price and the chuck which has 0.01mm runout. I converted it to CNC and got rid of the compound. I'm not sure i'd want to use it with the compound since it is very hard to get tuned in and reduces rigidity quite a lot. I also replaced the motor.

i wish I had experience with precision matthews, they seem to get good reviews but I have not set one up so I can't compare.

I bought a bit of an oddball lathe and wanted to share my thoughts in case someone else is considering the machine. This is essentially the same as the WM210 WM180, MX210, and G0678 other than the MT5 difference.

This is very close to the standard 200x400 or 8x16 but instead of the MT3 chuck it has an MT5. The main implication for this change is that the drive gear on the spindle is 56 tooth vs 40 tooth and the pulley setup will also be more snug though it is unclear what belts are needed. I just broke a belt and I don't really trust the manual the machine came with since the threading gear charts are all wrong. The manual says 5M360 but that seems to be a very uncommon belt type. The grizzly manual for this machine says it needs 5M365 and 5M375 belts. I asked the seller on ebay and they sent me a picture of a 5M375 belt.

When I received the machine it was clearly rolling around the whole trip with a single bolt securing it. It took a big dent in the front cover, bent the gear cover bolt, as well as a few other issues. I should have refused shipment. The seller has been very responsive and claims to be sending replacement parts for everything.

I was able to get the machine started and running but it was filthy with grinding dust and needed to be fully stripped down and cleaned. It did not have cosmoline on it, rather a snotty gelatin type goop which was much easier to clean than the cosmoline.

The first problem I discovered was that the hold downs for the ways did not have any counter adjusting grub screws and looked like they were machined with a dull carp. I ended up squaring and milling them on my mill and tapping 3 m5 grub screws so I could adjust the fit to the ways. Without this adjustment there was at least .125" of slop rocking the cross slide.

The next problem was the carrage lock. It was drilled and tapped cocked around 10 degrees off. I've abandoned the factory setup and need to do a custom carriage lock later.

Many of the castings on the cross slide and compound were extreemly rough. They required heavy deburring, some needed time on the milling machine, and they needed lapping. I ended up installing a OXA quick change tool post and did the compound through hole mod to allow me to adjust the angle of the compound without unscrewing it 90% of the way.

The tailstock was about .25" off and locked up so it had to be fully stripped down. It turned out there was not enough room for adjustment and it required some filing and milling to square up. I also needed to shim it to get the height correct. Finally the locking mechanism required adjustment to get working properly.

I believe the reason I broke the belt was that it was over tight. I was unable to change the belt without going into the back of the lathe to unfasten the bolt on the inside of the electronics cover. There are some blogs on ways to fix this so you can change the speed without this extra work. This seems like a pretty intensive mod and I didn't really need the speed yet so I had put it off. Then my belt broke.

The final mod I did was to put a bearing on the compound slide. The compound is impossible to turn without binding. It is very hard to adjust it without lapping due to the extremely poor milling. Combining this with the very loos bushing fit and you will find it binds on any attempt to turn the compound with one hand. My bearing fix is pretty much a hack and I'm going to redo it when I have some spare time. The machine really is abysmal to use without the angle mod and something to make adjusting the compound easier.

So net net it was a lot of work but I also learned and know feel pretty confident with how the machine works and I have a better sense for what features I would appreciate on a lathe in the future. I do not think I would make this purchase again. As with most things you get what you pay for.
hi I have the same wm210v machine and I have the same problem gear charts are all wrong have you found the right chart for this tour
I bought a bit of an oddball lathe and wanted to share my thoughts in case someone else is considering the machine. This is essentially the same as the WM210 WM180, MX210, and G0678 other than the MT5 difference.

This is very close to the standard 200x400 or 8x16 but instead of the MT3 chuck it has an MT5. The main implication for this change is that the drive gear on the spindle is 56 tooth vs 40 tooth and the pulley setup will also be more snug though it is unclear what belts are needed. I just broke a belt and I don't really trust the manual the machine came with since the threading gear charts are all wrong. The manual says 5M360 but that seems to be a very uncommon belt type. The grizzly manual for this machine says it needs 5M365 and 5M375 belts. I asked the seller on ebay and they sent me a picture of a 5M375 belt.

When I received the machine it was clearly rolling around the whole trip with a single bolt securing it. It took a big dent in the front cover, bent the gear cover bolt, as well as a few other issues. I should have refused shipment. The seller has been very responsive and claims to be sending replacement parts for everything.

I was able to get the machine started and running but it was filthy with grinding dust and needed to be fully stripped down and cleaned. It did not have cosmoline on it, rather a snotty gelatin type goop which was much easier to clean than the cosmoline.

The first problem I discovered was that the hold downs for the ways did not have any counter adjusting grub screws and looked like they were machined with a dull carp. I ended up squaring and milling them on my mill and tapping 3 m5 grub screws so I could adjust the fit to the ways. Without this adjustment there was at least .125" of slop rocking the cross slide.

The next problem was the carrage lock. It was drilled and tapped cocked around 10 degrees off. I've abandoned the factory setup and need to do a custom carriage lock later.

Many of the castings on the cross slide and compound were extreemly rough. They required heavy deburring, some needed time on the milling machine, and they needed lapping. I ended up installing a OXA quick change tool post and did the compound through hole mod to allow me to adjust the angle of the compound without unscrewing it 90% of the way.

The tailstock was about .25" off and locked up so it had to be fully stripped down. It turned out there was not enough room for adjustment and it required some filing and milling to square up. I also needed to shim it to get the height correct. Finally the locking mechanism required adjustment to get working properly.

I believe the reason I broke the belt was that it was over tight. I was unable to change the belt without going into the back of the lathe to unfasten the bolt on the inside of the electronics cover. There are some blogs on ways to fix this so you can change the speed without this extra work. This seems like a pretty intensive mod and I didn't really need the speed yet so I had put it off. Then my belt broke.

The final mod I did was to put a bearing on the compound slide. The compound is impossible to turn without binding. It is very hard to adjust it without lapping due to the extremely poor milling. Combining this with the very loos bushing fit and you will find it binds on any attempt to turn the compound with one hand. My bearing fix is pretty much a hack and I'm going to redo it when I have some spare time. The machine really is abysmal to use without the angle mod and something to make adjusting the compound easier.

So net net it was a lot of work but I also learned and know feel pretty confident with how the machine works and I have a better sense for what features I would appreciate on a lathe in the future. I do not think I would make this purchase again. As with most things you get what you pay for.

hi I have the same wm210v machine and I have the same problem gear charts are all wrong have you found the right chart for this LATHE

Last edited:
i've been trying to do some threading and I don't know why but I can't seem to get anything to work out but the first thread i tried for a 12mm standard od.
the manual is clearly not accurate as the headstock has a gear with 56 teeth on it. The gear cover has a chart on it but i can't fit the combination for 0.5mm pitch on the banjo. really disappointed in this lathe.
I also discovered the headstock was out about .1m over 50mm. there are only 2 M8 screws holding the headstock down and it was misaligned by quite a lot based on the bolt hole locations.
the last thing i tried was a straight combination of 56 80 30 60 which should produce .35 turns on the leadscrew but the output was closer to 1.75 based on my threading gauge. I can't find a calculator that works for this headstock gear size...
Let me try to help. You haven't posted any pictures of your lathe, and I know nothing else about it. Apologies if this is already known to you. But I'm going to get pretty basic and somewhat generic, just for the sake of completeness.
1. I assume you have gears both in the headstock and in a QCGB (quick change gear box) just ahead of the leadscrew. The thread pitch will be a combination of both gear sets, plus the lead of the leadscrew.
2. Headstock gears - If a series of gears is meshing with each other (ie, in a common plane), then intermediate gears don't affect the final ratio. The ratio is determined by the tooth counts of the first and last gears only. If a pair of gears is on a common shaft (ie, cluster), with previous gears driving one of them and subsequent gears being driven by the other, this tooth ratio must be multiplied in.
3. Commonly used sets of cluster gears for metric threads are shown in the table below. Only the 127/120 gives "exact" metric threads on an inch lathe, or "exact" inch threads on a metric lathe. The last column gives the thread pitch error of the alternate sets. You mentioned having a 56 tooth gear. It should be "clustered" with a 44 tooth. Assuming you have an inch lathe - your leadscrew has threads evenly divisible by inches, you'll want the headstock gear (and intermediate gear if used) to drive the 56 tooth gear. Subsequent gears should be driven by the 44 tooth gear.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 3.12.23 PM.jpg

4. If you have a QCGB, you'll want to open it up and do tooth counts of all the gears. This will give you a set of possible ratios. Note that the last gear in the headstock is on a shaft common with the gear(s) in the QCGB, so this constitutes a cluster. If no QCGB, you're driving the leadscrew directly from the last headstock gear, so no additional ratio needs to be factored in.
5. Once you've calculated the turns ratio between the spindle and the leadscrew, you multiply by the pitch (inches per turn) of the leadscrew to get the inches of carriage movement per spindle turn ... the thread pitch you will cut.

Here are two gear calculators that might be of help:

And here's the diagram I made for metric threading on my 12x24 lathe. Note the pictorial in the upper left, showing how the gears are arranged. The "A" gear is on a shaft driven by the spindle through some internal gearing, so it's part of a cluster, and thus becomes part of the final ratio. The "SET" column indicates the settings of the two levers of my QCGB.

JMH Metric Thread CHART.jpg

If you could, please go ahead and post some photos of your headstock gearing setup, etc. Given specific info, I (we) can offer more specific advice.

Back