Multi function shops

Is your table saw mobile? Any outfeed table? Wouldn't you want your jointer and bandsaw together with the table saw? Ie have woodworking at one end of the shop and metal working at the other?

What is the Lift and the other large box at the end? I believe you mentioned you have multiple motorcycles. Are they kept there?

Where do you do bench work? (Measuring, layout, markup, finishing, assembly, etc.)

What are you doing for lighting?

Craig
Edit: parts answered on previous page of thread.

Is your table saw mobile? Any outfeed table? Wouldn't you want your jointer and bandsaw together with the table saw? Ie have woodworking at one end of the shop and metal working at the other?

What is the Lift and the other large box at the end? I believe you mentioned you have multiple motorcycles. Are they kept there?

Where do you do bench work? (Measuring, layout, markup, finishing, assembly, etc.)

What are you doing for lighting?

Craig
Edit: parts answered on previous page of thread.

I don’t have an out feed table just a portable stand that resides under the extension of the saw when not in use.
Yes it definitely makes sense to cluster the woodworking tools at one end. They are all on wheels.

The large box at the end is one motorcycle. The other is on the lift.

The drawer cabinet is where I do layout, assembly etc

I have LED strip lights running the length of the two halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took some liberties with your drawing and rearranged things. I put the woodworking at the front corner and the metal working at the opposite corner. This keeps the woodworking dust by the garage door. If the woodworking is on wheels then it can be rolled outside in good weather. This leaves the center of your shop uncluttered for projects.

david shop 02.jpg

I took some liberties with your drawing and rearranged things. I put the woodworking at the front corner and the metal working at the opposite corner. This keeps the woodworking dust by the garage door. If the woodworking is on wheels then it can be rolled outside in good weather. This leaves the center of your shop uncluttered for projects.

View attachment 318641

Thanks for breaking my mental block.
I’d fallen into a bit of a ‘polish the dirt’ mindset and only thinking about minor changes.
I really like the idea of moving the saw to the garage door end. I can’t move it outside as we have a gravel drive with no intention of hard surfacing. I suppose I could keep a sheet of 1” CDX ply and drop it outside the door if I really wanted to move it outside.

I spent a bunch of time in the garage yesterday and managed to move an 8’ long drawer cabinet.
It was previously on this wall.
My plan is to move the lathe, mill and toolbox to this wall. The white door on the left side is just sitting there but is not an actual door any longer.

Thanks for that great idea on machine placement @mickri
cef490e74368a234ca0eea7f4bcbc834.jpg

Back