MT2 Reamer to live Center

MT2 live center project went fairly well today. I turned the reamer end of the taper to .436 and faced the cut end and center drilled it. I then cut a piece of a roller axle from a tread mill and faced it and drilled for a sliding fit on the taper, I turned the other end to 3/8" dia for 1/2" and threaded 3/8x24 to fit a salvaged drill chuck. With a .404" dia. ball bearing, it assembles nicely to make a live chuck! Though I'm not sure what I'd use it for...
I started on a 60° point stub for the live center and goofed it up. I had drilled the hole for the bearing and axil, reversed it in the chuck and set the topslide to cut the 60° point for the live center. Somehow I missed the gestimation of how long the stock should be, where the center hole ended, and cut through to the center hole, effectively parting off the cone bit! :angry::nuts::nuts::nuts::angry:
I'll try again tomorrow, and will post more pictures. I plan to make a 60° point, a 60° cup, and maybe a pipe center.

Chuck in E. TN

I finished the basic set today. I made a live drill chuck, live 60° center, and a 60° cup center.
I might make a pipe center if I find a spare 2" piece of bar lying around.

Chuck in E. TN

live center set.jpg

live center set.jpg

Back