MT 6 1/2 One Piece Dead Center

Your DOC should be at least 1/2 the nose radius of your insert or the surface finish will be crappy. The TNMG tool and insert are also not ideal for this kind of machining which is probably why you can’t get the DOC up to 0.100”. Compound position matters a lot too - if it’s hung out cantilevered, rigidity goes down the tubes on this lathe.

This is very smoky, too. This is a .040” cut.

image.jpg

Here is the resultant finish. Also, a picture of how my compound is set.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your DOC should be at least 1/2 the nose radius of your insert or the surface finish will be crappy. The TNMG tool and insert are also not ideal for this kind of machining which is probably why you can’t get the DOC up to 0.100”. Compound position matters a lot too - if it’s hung out cantilevered, rigidity goes down the tubes on this lathe.

My inserts say TNMS. Do you have any idea what sort of insert I should use for roughing prehard 4140?

I don’t see the need to have my compound set at 30° at this point. I’m going to set it at 0°.

If the minimum cut is as large as you say, how does one use a carbide insert to zero in on the last few thou or tenths?

Do you have any left hand cutting tools?
Try taking a cut from the HS to the TS.
Also, Have you checked your gibs?

Do you have any left hand cutting tools?
Try taking a cut from the HS to the TS.
Also, Have you checked your gibs?

Yes, I have numerous left hand cutting tools. I will try turning outward like you said.

The gibs are as they came from the factory about 3 months ago. I will check the gibs. Good point.

Ideally you would not want to be making small .001 cuts to hit a diameter. If you had to use a super sharp tool with a very small radius.

Ideally you would not want to be making small .001 cuts to hit a diameter. If you had to use a super sharp tool with a very small radius.

I see that I’ve been doing it wrong.

I'm no expert just things I've learned in the last several years.
Ray C had a nice explanation on how to hit your numbers and the process of how it's done. I'll look for it and post it for you.
Sort of starts at post #36.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're asking for help/suggestions, but if you are, here are some ideas.

Make your setup as rigid as possible. That would mean taking as much slop out of the cross slide and compound ways as possible. If you haven't already, I would recommend removing the gibs on both control surfaces, hone them on a stone to remove any burrs, and check them for flatness. Assuming they are flat and free of burrs, I would then fit them and adjust them using a dial indicator to remove as much sponginess as possible and still have the surfaces free moving. Here is a link to another thread where one technique is documented to check the rigidity of the compound after adjusting the gibs. Go here.

Looking at some of your surface finishes, I suspect you have some rigidity issues, which is why I mention the first point about the gibs. But you can improve rigidity by pulling in the compound so that the QCTP is sitting directly over the swivel-mount for the compound, and 90-degrees to the spindle axis.

Further along in that same thread, the problem he was having was lack of rigidity because the compound was not sitting flat on the cross slide. You can see that here. Rigidity is king, so check out your setup with some dial indicators - who knows, you may have the same warped compound base that TX Cowdoc did.

I am not a fan of the type triangular insert you are using. It has a relatively weak cutting point. I would favor an 80* rhombus style insert and tool holder - CPMT style. But, if you want to use that triangle-shaped insert, I would pick one graded for use with tougher materials. Assuming the I.C. of your insert is 3/8", something like this would be a better choice. I would also tweak the lead angle of the tool by rotating the QCTP 10° or so CCW from where you show it in your videos, so that the radiused tip is doing most of the work and the cutting forces are toward the chuck rather than across the spindle axis. With decent rigidity, shifting the lead angle to balance the tool forces toward the chuck, and a proper grade insert you should be able to peel of 0.100" per pass no problem and get close to mirror finish.

ddickey suggested a good post by Ray C on how to hit target diameters without trying to creep up on final size with tiny skim cuts. Creeping up is definitely asking to overshoot your target OD and leave questionable surface finish. I use a balanced cut method, somewhat similar to what Ray C is trying to convey but without all the math. It's fully described in much simpler terms in this video, and I use the DRO instead of the dials. Using this technique on my PM1340, I can routinely hit target dimensions to within 2/10ths, and there is no way this is possible creeping up on the final OD with shallow finishing passes. Granted, I have a solid tool post which helps, but even with the compound, this method works. Watch Stefan's video to the end, and realize that the technique is even more accurate using a DRO. He is also demonstrating the technique on 4140 with a similar sized lathe, using the style of insert (CPMT) that I would pick for your material and machining condition.

Hope this helps.

Back