Motor control switch

Switch to three phase with a VFD and don’t look back. Any switch or control arrangement you want.

It’s 2023….

John

You might add what year your lathe was made, and maybe someone with similar vintage might have some wiring info. Mine is from 1963 and has a starter from Furnas Electric with the 3-pushbutton control, which I rather like. Yours looks to be older with an Allen Bradley starter. My opinion is that if you can figure out the wiring and everything works, go with what you have. I think the pushbutton/latching contactor system is safer than a plain drum switch.
67068721753__91D52A25-0160-4AF0-9E76-62281896175A.jpegNot sure what year, it’s a singlephase that can be ran on 110 or 220,I’m guessing has to be 220 to make the reverse function work?

My 1 HP single phase motor will run both directions on either 110 or 220. It is a fairly new motor but I think they are all wired about the same if they have the ability to run both directions. I run mine with a drum switch which works just fine. On a 10K with a threaded spindle there isn't much you can do in reverse anyway, but sometimes it is nice to have.

Make and model of motor or photo of the data plate would be helpful. We should be able to find the info you need.

My 1 HP single phase motor will run both directions on either 110 or 220. It is a fairly new motor but I think they are all wired about the same if they have the ability to run both directions. I run mine with a drum switch which works just fine. On a 10K with a threaded spindle there isn't much you can do in reverse anyway, but sometimes it is nice to have.

Make and model of motor or photo of the data plate would be helpful. We should be able to find the info you need.
I’ll post it tomorrow when I get home, but that’s good to know that the reverse is pretty much useless with this, may have made up my mind not to mess with mine in that way lol

That makes sense, especially since it's already single-phase. Maybe the previous owner wasn't even using that starter circuit for the single-phase motor. Mine, being 3-phase, can easily reverse, but so far I haven't used reverse. Maybe I could if I was using a collet.

But my general philosophy is to just use it, and if I find that it won't do something that I need/want to do, I'll deal with it at that time.

You can start it with a simple single-pole switch if it's 120V; quick and easy, at least to get you up and running.

That makes sense, especially since it's already single-phase. Maybe the previous owner wasn't even using that starter circuit for the single-phase motor. Mine, being 3-phase, can easily reverse, but so far I haven't used reverse. Maybe I could if I was using a collet.

But my general philosophy is to just use it, and if I find that it won't do something that I need/want to do, I'll deal with it at that time.

You can start it with a simple single-pole switch if it's 120V; quick and easy, at least to get you up and running.
That’s what I have already done, it’s on a simple switch with just forward and off

Back