Motor control switch

That looks like a maintained push button switch. No relay needed.
Yes. Which is what I want. I am seeking examples from what others have done, if they have. Perhaps it's not a popular option.

Depending on what current they're rated for you'd need a relay. If I remember though I think some of those do have internal relays like you said.

The 220v single phase motor that is in the lathe is currently connected to a simple on/off push button switch that is mounted to where the original drum switch was mounted. No relays.

The motor is reversible, just need to find the right switch.

Typically on a lathe one would use a drum switch for safety reasons. If one was to use push buttons, I would not recommend sustained types that might be used on a mill or machines that are not subject to frequent start/stops. Momentary switches could also be used with contactors and wired in a fashion that the stop button would need to be pressed before reversing. The simplest approach and what is most commonly seen on the older small lathes was a drum switch. They also have a spring return so snaps back to the stop position when released. You would want a maintained 3 position. They come in various styles and costs.

The shown push button station is a good quality part. It however is just the push buttons alone. There are no relays or other components included. For reversing on a single phase machine, there will be required at least two(2) relays, as well as a "zero speed switch". The need for zero speed is noted above, a single phase motor must be at or near rest to reverse.

A drum switch is the usual control for a "hobbyist" machine. The push buttons will get a serious workout. I have worked on many machines over the years and quite frankly don't remember ever seeing a lathe with a push button station as the primary control. They have been used as "low voltage drop out" control on occasion, but not primary control.

I would recommend that the "Stop" button be replaced with a mushroom head pushbutton so the machine can be readily stopped by just swatting at the button. Having to locate the stop button in an emergency situation is a handfull on a good day, and near impossible when parts are flying around.

If needed, I can devise a control circuit diagram for you. It will take a couple of days as this is a new application and I don't have a "stock" drawing to start from. I'm getting old and don't work so fast any more. Further, for safety, I would want to make several passes to get things right. Just say the word. . .

I'm thinking to really do it right you would need to tie in to the internal centrifugal switch- that would give a quasi "zero speed switch" function. To put icing on the cake you would use that to start a short timer to make sure the motor was really stopped before changing direction. I know, too complicated, but it would be a slick way to do it
-M
That would at least address the problem of having the motor continue to run forward when you push reverse

Last edited:
My Lathe came with a 3 phase drum switch that mounted on top of headstock. I moved it to the left side of Lathe and rewired it for 115V. Works good for the last decade for me. No 3 phase here and maybe someday will build or buy a VFD. It does have forward and reverse and netural.
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 13
My south bend 10 heavy came with rolling cabinet and push button forward/reverse/stop switch as far as I can tell. It was not wired up anymore and have been trying to locate wiring diagrams to be able to hook it all back up. But it sounds like I might be better off just getting a drum switch?IMG_5507.jpeg

You might add what year your lathe was made, and maybe someone with similar vintage might have some wiring info. Mine is from 1963 and has a starter from Furnas Electric with the 3-pushbutton control, which I rather like. Yours looks to be older with an Allen Bradley starter. My opinion is that if you can figure out the wiring and everything works, go with what you have. I think the pushbutton/latching contactor system is safer than a plain drum switch.

I'd go with the drum switch, but is the lathe on 3 phase or single phase?

Back