Moore Special Tools: jig borer tooling

Wow lots of great comments!! The criterion boring head has 1/10’s adjustment. The back right one is a Wholhaupter #3. The Moore #3 I have has had virtually no use. Made in ‘76. Has an Accurite Dro. It and the dials match to the 0.0001” on the whole travel x&y. Utterly amazing. I have a Moore center scope for it as well. It is my CMM. A bit slow but I’m not usually in a hurry anyhow. That’s why it’s a hobby. . So rigid and accurate. What an amazing accomplishment for its time. I also have its companion grinder. It’s in the process so getting set up. I have some more tools to get cleaned up. I’ll add them here too.

They are sweet machines for a hobby type though. Scary to haul with that small base and really top heavy with Reeves drive and motor on top. It looks like the Empire state building in the rear view mirror. I hit a pothole in downtown Minneapolis with mine and felt like having a heart attack would be less stressful. Dave
I had to move my two about 200 miles. These were the only machines I have that I didn’t move. A man needs to know his limitations. I was a USN rigger long ago and recognized clearly the issues here. I broke down and paid the dear price to have them professionally moved and set in my shop. Done properly, lifted from the eye on top with a 30,000 lb forklift with a boom. No drama, no damage.

Moore stuff was crazy accurate. In their world a tenth was like a moon away. You really don't want to do any feeding horizontally with them. The preload on the bearings is so tight that when the bearings go, much of the built in accuracy is gone. I turn mine on every time I'm in the shop to keep the bearings from setting under the pressure.

Moore must have sold tooling sets with each machine as many machines show up with tooling. Here is just some of what I got with my #2. Dave
Definitely no milling. I turn mine regularly as well. If anyone is looking to buy one, they can go cheap but be very careful, parts are generally not available and when you find them they are expensive beyond imagination. If you find a nice #3 or JB18 they are a joy to use. I’ve been gathering tools for a while now. I think I have most everything I would ever need now. Lucked into a drawer full of new P&W JB reamers a couple years ago. Need to get them mounted up now.

Yes, with a Moore, if anything gets broken, you would need another machine for parts. I paid $900 and got enough tooling that the machine was free. I also asked the buyer to run it for 1/2 hour and make sure the bearings didn't get hot. They are high risk machines but if you get lucky, they are very useful. I put a DRO on mine with 1 micron scales as anything less precision seemed insulting to the machine.

The #3 has a little larger base and a little slower feed rate. I think the Reeves was similar to what Rivett used. I I used Model T or A oil in it.

Dave

Pratt and Whitney made some wonderful machines. Dave
I've been looking for a Moore #1 in good condition for many years. So far, the only ones I've found are either priced as though they're made of gold, or so worn out they could never be restored. About 10 years ago I passed on a well tooled Pratt & Whitney because I was busy and just too lazy to drive 150 miles. The company was selling it and replacing it with some CNC machinery. The thing looked barely used and had an asking price of $900.00. I now kick myself on a daily basis for being so lazy. Even though I keep looking the truth of the matter is the shop is already full and there's no room for one. Should I happen across the right machine I'll probably have to make the decision as to either part with a current machine or pass again. Tough decision.

I've been looking for a Moore #1 in good condition for many years. So far, the only ones I've found are either priced as though they're made of gold, or so worn out they could never be restored. About 10 years ago I passed on a well tooled Pratt & Whitney because I was busy and just too lazy to drive 150 miles. The company was selling it and replacing it with some CNC machinery. The thing looked barely used and had an asking price of $900.00. I now kick myself on a daily basis for being so lazy. Even though I keep looking the truth of the matter is the shop is already full and there's no room for one. Should I happen across the right machine I'll probably have to make the decision as to either part with a current machine or pass again. Tough decision.
If you are in The Midwest these come up at auction frequently. Super nice machines demand a price but occasionally you can get them for a couple hundred bucks. They do take more floor space than you would at first think. But well worth squeezing one in.

We had Pratt and Whitneys , Lindners and the Deckels . The 4E P&W was so accurate , Nasa used the machine for inspection purposes before the CMMs were out . :encourage:
I watched a video yesterday that highlighted the high quality and accuracy of the Pratt & Whitney machine tools.
The R2800? Double wasp and single were machined on them. In the late 30’s, they were machining engine parts that were metal to metal, no gasket and they didn’t leak.
Incredible.

I watched a video yesterday that highlighted the high quality and accuracy of the Pratt & Whitney machine tools.
One of the jobs we did on the 4E was for the AWAC planes . Started out with a round aluminum slug about 1500 lbs or so . When finished , one man could lift it . The whole thing got platinum plated . When the plant shut down , the machine AND the contract got sold to another machine shop across town .

The reason why the jig bore and Hardinge room was so popular in the shop was because it was the only area in the plant that was kept at 68-70 degrees and climate controlled for inspection purposes . It was NOT because we had a billboard sized picture of the Coppertone woman with the dog grabbing her suit bottom down . Least I thought so . :)

Back