Moore Special Tools: jig borer tooling

GT-6 Racer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Getting my latest auction buys ready for use on the jig borer. Tools from Moore, Wohlhaupter, Albrecht, Criterion. Fantastic quality. Ready for use. Beautiful Moore mahogany tool blocks. More to come.C07CDDC8-19A5-4A8D-8134-3BB93144208D.jpeg

wow! THat's some beautiful tooling you got, especially the boring heads. I've never seen a dial on the moving part of a boring head before, but I can see what looks like a conventional adjusting screw in the usual spot too. Is the side dial a fine adjustment? I noticed that each division = 0.0001" which is crazy small :)

One of my favorite machines in the past were our Deckel jigbores with the grinding attachments . They all were sold to NASA at the auction . Nice looking tooling there worth more than a couple of bucks . :encourage:

wow! THat's some beautiful tooling you got, especially the boring heads. I've never seen a dial on the moving part of a boring head before, but I can see what looks like a conventional adjusting screw in the usual spot too. Is the side dial a fine adjustment? I noticed that each division = 0.0001" which is crazy small :)
That boring head on the right side is capable of power feed facing, looks like Wholhaupter, they are capable of feeding out while rotating for facing or recessing.

Moore stuff was crazy accurate. In their world a tenth was like a moon away. You really don't want to do any feeding horizontally with them. The preload on the bearings is so tight that when the bearings go, much of the built in accuracy is gone. I turn mine on every time I'm in the shop to keep the bearings from setting under the pressure.

Moore must have sold tooling sets with each machine as many machines show up with tooling. Here is just some of what I got with my #2. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN3834.JPG
    DSCN3834.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN3835.JPG
    DSCN3835.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 18
These were not made for milling , hence they are called jig borers . Their worth in the shop was accuracy . You could split a tenth true position with their linear scales and then hold a tenth with the grinding heads . :) Nice machines , but put out to pasture when the cnc mills came along .

They are sweet machines for a hobby type though. Scary to haul with that small base and really top heavy with Reeves drive and motor on top. It looks like the Empire state building in the rear view mirror. I hit a pothole in downtown Minneapolis with mine and felt like having a heart attack would be less stressful. Dave

We had Pratt and Whitneys , Lindners and the Deckels . The 4E P&W was so accurate , Nasa used the machine for inspection purposes before the CMMs were out . :encourage:

That boring head on the right side is capable of power feed facing, looks like Wholhaupter, they are capable of feeding out while rotating for facing or recessing.
I meant the one to the left of the boring and facing head

Pratt and Whitney made some wonderful machines. Dave

Back