Monarch 10EE

I’ve seen one near me that was dropped being offered for more.

Run it and if it works decent throw the money at him and tuck it under your arm as you head for the door. ;)

John

I called Monarch this morning. They emailed me the original invoice and a repair invoice. This lathe was owned by JPL/NASA in Pasadena. It was shipped back to Monarch in 1980 for a rebuild and shipped back to JPL in 1981. It should be a nice lathe. I'll check it out this weekend and post what I find. The Monarch service manager John was very informative.

On these Monarch 10ee lathes. In speaking with the service manager at Monarch the lathe I'm interested in has a hand selected spindel with the runout to be at or under 0.000040. He also said this is a Tool room lathe. So I asked aren't all 10ee models a tool room lathe and he said no. The others are tight, but not near as nice as this is.
Mike

I think Monarch shot for 40 microns and if it was less than 30 it was specified by a tag on the machine. What it is now might be a different story but still likely better than a normal person can duplicate without a lot of experience. Dave

EDIT should be .00004 or 40 millionths, not microns.

Last edited:
Check the inside of the front V-way for scoring. Check spindle runout. should be essentially zero on a tenth’s indicator. Carriage handwheel should have minimal rotational play maybe <1/8 of a turn. If they allow, pop off the headstock cover and carefully visually check. Tailstock quill play is another common wear area. Follow and steadys are a big bonus.

if it’s reasonable and runs well $4500 is fair. Aren’t many really nice ones out there. Good luck !

All persons wanting a Monarch. I had a great conversation with the head service manager, John at Monarch. I was ready to purchase one of the 2 ex JPL model 10ee. I'm glad now I purchase a Clausing. Last week on Friday I had asked John at Monarch about the reliability of the Beel retrofit systems for their lathes. He put me on hold to speak with their head electric manager. Well he had left early and John promised me he would ask him on Monday and call me. Boy what an eye opener. It seems that Beel developed their system to retrofit the older Tube models. Beel gave or sold one to Monarch for testing. John said if it had worthy may have went with them. But the Beel system was not reliable. It couldn't control the machine correctly so they passed on them. I have now seen several Monarch 10eex20 and 30 with this Beel system. I had assumed that maybe at one time Monarch had actually used these. No they didn't end of story.
So me being the inquisitive type I asked John what would it cost to retrofit a Monarch with the new Monarch controls. Sticker shock. $18,000 at a bare minimum which includes a new motor, all new controls and associated wiring and parts.
So be very careful on what you purchase. Do your detective work and never assume the current owner is truthful. John also said that it's very doubtful that JPL would do the Beel deal as Monarch is still rebuilding these for them.

Interesting.
I agree, if someone was going to take a serious look at a Monarch they really need to know what they are getting into.
Those units with the big vacuum tubes scares the heck out of me.

Interesting.
I agree, if someone was going to take a serious look at a Monarch they really need to know what they are getting into.
Those units with the big vacuum tubes scares the heck out of me.
Well said.
I'll keep my 12CK.
Better envelope and the drives on them are simple enough a guy could fix one with an axe.

Quit stalling. Drive over there now, make it rain on the seller with your bundle of bills, and do your inspection and scrutiny in the privacy of your own shop behind closed doors. Someone with a trailer is going to yank that lathe out from under your feet so fast it'll make your Gomer Pyle hat spin 'round on your head, and it won't come to rest until next month, when your spouse slaps it the other way and tells you to quit sobbing.

Just sayin', out of community service.

Back