Modified sine bar

Thanks Billy G,
I'm ok with calling it a bar or a table.Actually I think I prefer table. But now I have a question since you put up the picture. I understand the mathematics of a sine bar but how do you practically use one? Is there a YouTube out there somewhere that shows one in use? How do you mount one on your milling table and then anchor a work-piece to it?
All replies are appreciated.
Boco

Sine bars aren't really meant for milling machines, they are more for surface grinders. On whatever machine you use them, they are only for setting the angle, the workpiece needs to be clamped to an angle plate.

Hope this helps.

Sandro Di Filippo

I like it.Anything that helps with rapid solid setups is a good thing in my opinion..I use sine bar, sine vise and sine magnetic chucks with regularity but I dont have one of those, I should build one 'cus there has been times it'd have been the right tool for the job..

Sine bars aren't really meant for milling machines, they are more for surface grinders. On whatever machine you use them, they are only for setting the angle, the workpiece needs to be clamped to an angle plate.

Hope this helps.

Sandro Di Filippo

Ummm -- I used the sine bar every time I tilted the head on my old milling machine. It was the way to get the correct angle. The sine bar is meant to be used anywhere it can be used.

"Billy G"

Ummm -- I used the sine bar every time I tilted the head on my old milling machine. It was the way to get the correct angle. The sine bar is meant to be used anywhere it can be used.

"Billy G"

That's interesting, I've never seen it used like that. How did you use it? Do you have any pictures? Any place I've ever worked they wouldn't let us use sine bars anyplace but the surface grinders.

Sandro Di Filippo

Lots of ways to use a sine bar. They are considered a precision tool, and deserve to be used cautiously. They are hardened, as are the rolls, but they can be damaged, so care is advised when clamping with it. I know people who think they should never leave the inspection lab, but there are places in the shop were you can take advantage of the precision.

That's interesting, I've never seen it used like that. How did you use it? Do you have any pictures? Any place I've ever worked they wouldn't let us use sine bars anyplace but the surface grinders.

Sandro Di Filippo

I remember using sine bars to setup angle plates then clamping parts to the plate. Most of the shops I worked in didn't want their bars or gage blocks messed up. I do like the sine fixture project. Nice clean rugged design. Great job.

Back