Modified sine bar

Boco

Registered
Registered
This is a modified sine bar attachment that I use almost everyday. It helps me because my Smithy Midas has noway to angle the mill cutting head. (Pardon me if I use terms unfamiliar with machine jargon, since I don't know any better I have to make up my own.) Anyway this device has been very adaptable and give my work pieces the height needed to reach them with the cutter.
100_0837.jpg100_0840.jpg100_0843.jpg100_0838.jpg100_0839.jpg

100_0844.jpg 100_0834.jpg 100_0837.jpg 100_0838.jpg 100_0839.jpg 100_0840.jpg 100_0843.jpg

Nice, but I have a question? Without it being ground, at least the top surface, how does it hold accuracy? Sine Plated are ultra precise.

"Billy G" :thinking:

good idea there should be a lot of things you can use that for
i started by making my own tools ( some not that nice ) and i got what i needed to do done
I have over time replaced some and others i still use. the fun is in learning how to do what you need to do with what you have. and if you dont have it make it.

steve

Good one Bill,

No, as you can see it is anything but a precision piece of equipment, but it has served as a utility device which now that I have my surface grinder up and running, I can go back and grind it. I have used this (maybe I shouldn't even call it a sine bar) device for a major portion of the work that I have don on the mill. It seems to be more rigid than the drill press angle vises that I have been able to afford.
Thanks for your reply,
Boco

You could call it a bar. A sine bar is just that, a bar. (see below) Yours is more of a table.

"Billy G" :))

images.jpg

You could call it a bar. A sine bar is just that, a bar. (see below) Yours is more of a table.

"Billy G" :))

Thanks Billy G,
I'm ok with calling it a bar or a table.Actually I think I prefer table. But now I have a question since you put up the picture. I understand the mathematics of a sine bar but how do you practically use one? Is there a YouTube out there somewhere that shows one in use? How do you mount one on your milling table and then anchor a work-piece to it?
All replies are appreciated.
Boco

Tubalcain's Youtube video #19 and #20 also cover the sine bar.

it seems to me that this is a great solution to the problem of wanting a tilting table. He is using the sine bar principal to maintain as much rigidity as possible since the elevated side is supported. I suppose for precision he could use a regular sine bar and blocks to measure and set the sine table.

Dale

I think tooling/fixturing plate, would be a better term, instead of a sine bar. It looks sturdy, so if it works; by all means keep using it. I can see you using that for several different set ups.

Fine job!

Back