Mini Mill vs Round Column Mills

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Exactly as the title states, I would love to hear from anyone who has used both to hear what they prefer. I see the round columns for sale occasionally in my area, but having come from mostly using a Bridgeport at work, something about the round column just feels wrong! Unfortunately no room in my garage for a full sized BP so I'm limited to small-scale machines like the infamous Chinese mini mill or combo mill/drill round columns.

Last edited:
Have you considered something inbetween like a ZX45/BF45 or similar, they seem quite capable for their size?
One big problem with anything that has a round column is loss of position if you need to raise/lower the table.

I don’t see how you would be happy with either the mini or drill/mill coming from a Bridgeport. The Rf45 square column mill requires less strategic planning because you don’t lose register if you have to change Z like the round column. There is a nice work work around/add on that one of the members here came up with that I plan on adding to my RF30/round column to rid me of the problem when I get a chance. But I’ve gotten so used to thinking strategically I’m not sure I’ll benefit. There are quite a few of us here who admit to having a drill/mill and do good work with it. I like mine. I bought it super cheap and it fits my budget, space and pocket book. And at 3x’s the mass of the mini mill can actually get something done.

Take a look @ ThatLazyMachinist YouTube site. He has an excellent one on the use of round column mills and how to cope with maintaining alignment when needing to raise the head. All his videos are good!

I have had a round column for over ten years. If you plan your tool changes around the quill travel, you can do a lot. If you need to move the head, I have a 1/2" hole drilled in the corner of the vise jaw. You record your X & Y distance to the hole, then after you move the head, find the center of the hole, and you have the X&Y distance to get you back to your point. You could do the same with any hole on your project if you have one. For smaller cutting, it is still my main go to mill. My big mill, is a Van Norman, which has no quill, so you need to use the knee for the Z axis. Not hard, but just not as comfortable with it as I am with the Rungfu. I have seen and considered a lot of the different methods people have come up with to keep the head in position when you move it, but just never felt any were either trustworthy or cost effective enough. I guess it is the difference between an optimist and a pessimist.

I have no issues with my round column mill. Does everything I need. As others have mentioned dealing with the loss of X & Y is easily managed.

I don't mind working with my round column mill at all. It's really not bad once you start thinking like @Superburban above. It has a lot of power, and is rigid enough to leave a nice finish with the fly cutter or face mill. The width of the ways is quite a bit larger than other mills its size. It takes up a lot less room compared to full-sized mills.
3511751fbebf8e6a87bc231083555b3f.jpg

Wow, Pontiac, that room is so clean its abnormal!

Back