• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Mini Mill Power Feed For The Table

3dshooter80

Master of Metal Malpractice
Here's a link to another short video from my little shop. I'll be doing a detail video on all the parts once I get the project completely finished. I'll also do a video on wiring the motor control & using an old computer power supply as a power source. Hope you enjoy this quickie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
Very nice design, similar to something that I have been thinking about making for my Clausing 8520 mill. I will be looking forward to seeing more of the details on your project!

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
How do I make/get the female hex? Perhaps 6 flat bottomed set screws?

Edit: change fat to flat

Last edited:

3dshooter80

Yes, it's just a 9/16" deep socket. If I had it to do over I'd use a larger socket. The drive shaft has to be able to slide into the socket. I was able to drill this one out part the way, but had to do a lot of filing to get it to where the square shaft would pass through. Hopefully I'll get the detail video done tomorrow. I tore it down today & powder coated what shows & made a cover & clutch slide so I don't have to stick my fingers in it.

Brentb1

Iron
Registered Member
I really enjoyed your video as you are very detailed and explained everything in a way that even someone that knows nothing about machining "me" can understand. I have a very similar mill "LMS 3990" and after seeing your video I am going to tackle this asap.

3dshooter80

I really enjoyed your video as you are very detailed and explained everything in a way that even someone that knows nothing about machining "me" can understand. I have a very similar mill "LMS 3990" and after seeing your video I am going to tackle this asap.
Thanks for the compliments. I hope to get a couple more videos posted tomorrow on the power supply & motor control for the mill power feed.

Upcoming videos will include a series on making a full set of archery stabilizers & mounts. Even those not interested in archery will hopefully enjoy the machining which will include everything from boring on the lathe to using a rotary table on the mill.

tincture500

Like the design. Would like a few close-up pics of the drive engagement system and any experience improvements you would make if you did it again

3dshooter80

Like the design. Would like a few close-up pics of the drive engagement system and any experience improvements you would make if you did it again
Did you watch the 2nd video linked in this thread? In it I do a break down explanation of the entire setup. The only thing I'd do different (which I plan to change tomorrow) is that the drive engagement knob (shown in 2nd video) need to be on the side instead of the top. I have to be careful now when I use the spin indexer to be sure its handle is clear of the knob.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing - I am loving it & use it practically every time the table needs moving more than a few inches.

tincture500

Any concern as to the feed not stopping ( get distracted ). May be a limit switch? Yes. I did watch both videos. Great work. Got the drive today awaiting the wiring info on the next video . awaiting the PWM speed controller. Thanks again. Tom

3dshooter80

Any concern as to the feed not stopping ( get distracted ). May be a limit switch? Yes. I did watch both videos. Great work. Got the drive today awaiting the wiring info on the next video . awaiting the PWM speed controller. Thanks again. Tom
Yep - I've got all the material purchased & ready to add some limit switches. Wiring them in will be quite simple, the biggest issue is where to mount them. I'll be making a follow up to my wiring video to show how to incorporate the limit switches so that if one is triggered the other will still have power.

Zoltan

Active User
I used that same motor to make the power feed on my table. I wrote it up with some pictures here:
http://benchtopmachineshop.blogspot.com/2014/06/mill-power-feed.html

Since I wrote that blog entry I've moved the control box to the top left of the column, mounted the power supply to the back of the column with magnets, and made a small cover to keep chips off the motor's shaft.

budbroruss

Swarf
Registered Member
Here's a link to another short video from my little shop. I'll be doing a detail video on all the parts once I get the project completely finished. I'll also do a video on wiring the motor control & using an old computer power supply as a power source. Hope you enjoy this quickie.

Nice Job!

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Premium Content
H-M Supporter-Premium
I will be watching this .. the micromark power feed does not work as expected. The slowest speed is too fast for slitting, or gear cutting, and it stalls very easily. I really didn`t want my mini mill to be a project, since I have some real projects that need to be done - but this is one I have to commit to.

RCWorks

5 Star Possum Chef
Mine right now is at near 0 to 3.5 inches per minute.

I need to step up the speed on the controller and go to 10 thread per inch leadscrews. that would over double me current speed.

I figure on pulse rate alone I can go up to 5 IMP, anything I can get out of pulse rate will double on the leadscrew change.

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Premium Content
H-M Supporter-Premium
Update...

I upgraded to the .050 lead screws and the power feed works much better. I assume its because the motor can run at a higher RPM while giving me the slow speed I wanted with the geared down screws.

JamesSX2_7

Iron
Registered Member
Hello,

I wanted a power feed for my Mill too, and was most inspired by lpeedin's solution.
I did go a little different, using a 24V straight geared motor.
You can see the internals here (old photo - no engagement lever):
20160410_123631 - Copy.jpg

The internals are a deep socket (9/16ths), with a sliding hex and "screwdriver tip" to engage the table screw.
A large washer and pin provides a "slip ring" to pull and push the sliding part.

The finished product:
20160723_110748 - Copy.jpg

Have yet to finish the electronic end stops.

I've created a short video of it running:

James.