Mini Lathe Mount on Workbench - Heavy Old Wooden Desk

It worked! The Cone-Point Set Screws, when threaded into the bed mount and extended a little bit, worked like four spaced center punches to mark the steel plate for drill and tap locations. I decided to leave out the chip tray, as it would just impede brush & vac cleanup. It’s <1/2 degree off from level in the long direction of the ways and barely off perpendicular to the ways, so I didn’t shim before bolting the bed down.
Congratulations, you have discovered spotting/Transfer screws.

These things are invaluable and I have made my own on occasion. Now their so damn cheap I just hit up Azon whenever I need a set I don't have.

They're not quality, (I paid $7 for a set)but I also don't have to roll around the floor looking for the one I dropped from my expensive sets.

Looks great
I have a heavy old wooden desk I’ve put my LMS 7x12 mini lathe on, with a sheet of 1/8” oil-resistant rubber under, with the supplied rubber feet. As I’ll be converting that lathe to a 7x16 shortly, I’m reconsidering the workbench mounting.

I could rough-level that desk with shims under the legs, replace the rubber sheet with a steel plate, remove the rubber feet and bolt the bed down metal-to-metal, using shims to level.

Is that overdoing it?

BRET
Look great
A lot of work

I just got my first mini lathe and surprise it came with rubber feet and a chip tray. So just set on a plywood shelf .

Dave

Back