Mini Lathe Carriage Lock - Jiggles Around When Unlocked

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I put this Carriage Lock on my LMS 4200 7x12 mini-lathe. It’s fine for acing when locked down, but when unlocked for turning, the handle is loose and jiggles around. I snapped the handle off on a run when it jiggled forward under the spindle and hit a lathe dog.

Did I have it set up wrong? It’s tight over the read bolt when locked (as in the picture below) but when unlocked, does not remain in position over the rear bolt.

IMG_2552.jpeg

I scratched my head over this and the only solution that I could come up with would be to switch to a left hand thread for the lock bolt. That way, it will still jiggle but to the front rather than the rear. You will of course now have the same situation when locked but at least the carriage won't be moving then. If there was a possible conflict when locked, you could lift and rotate the handle to clear.

Could you drill & tap the other side of the carriage so it would be away from the rotating chuck.

Here is what I made to lock my carriage. It works quite well. I made oiler fittings for the existing holes in the carriage.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 8
My 2nd search found the below thread - Google can be touching on wording!

Wow, my solution is rocket science compared to y'alls. A somewhat stiff coil spring to spread the nut from the carriage when unlocked will do it. Then again, I'm no engineer...

Wow, my solution is rocket science compared to y'alls. A somewhat stiff coil spring to spread the nut from the carriage when unlocked will do it. Then again, I'm no engineer...
I’ll epoxy the snapped off handle back on and try it! Worst case, I snap it off again.

The LMS didn’t include the spring but since there was one at the tail stock plate it looked like a good idea so I added one at the Carriage Lock too.

Can someone explain why they prefer the carriage lock to be on the left side of the carriage? It would seem to be far more logical to put it on the right side away from the chuck so the carriage can be locked without turning off the lathe.

What am I missing here?

Can someone explain why they prefer the carriage lock to be on the left side of the carriage? It would seem to be far more logical to put it on the right side away from the chuck so the carriage can be locked without turning off the lathe.

What am I missing here?

I bought the lock from LMS and it uses the holes that were already drilled and tapped for the follower rest. I’m pretty sure that is the only reason, and I’m going to move it to the other side one of these days because I can’t lock it when I’m in close to the chuck and I worry about the chuck hitting the locking handle.

Back