Mineral spirits or milk?

Taz

Active User
Registered
I replaced the solvent in my cleaning tank today, and stopped by my local Walley's to grab a few gallons of mineral spirits (it's less than 4 gal to fill it to the brim). I wasn't paying attention to much other than my boy who decided to go into a fit of hysteria right then. Turns out I grabbed some super-safe/low-odor iteration of the chemical we know and love, irony being if my kid saw the stuff in a glass he'd have zero problem gulping whole thing down as it looks just like milk.

I'm interested so I pour a gallon into the tank and flip the switch to see if I like it better. Worst possible outcome is I have to buy a new pump so why not. It feels just like your normal ms between your fingers, its not very viscous but clings to surfaces like it was. It is a little thicker, somewhere between milk and buttermilk, and poured from the spout vs the usual spray. Here's the interesting part. I cleaned a number of things from some rusty steel, to anti-seize covered bolts, to greasy plastic. Solvent power is about par, but everything it released floated on the top. I really had to whip it up to get the garbage to mix. I tried a few other things, sharpening a knife on one of my cheap stones, tapping I actually liked it better than the alternatives (really good tapping aluminum, and you can see the metal in your slurry on a stone).

It's too milky and leaves a residue if not wiped completely off, besides the fact it's more difficult to clean when you can't see through it, so I scraped the dirty layer off the top, re-contained it, and went back to the real deal in my tank.

Here's my question, did I just wake up from the dark ages and find something everyone else already uses? It has a low enough odor I can even use it in my lab in the house and you can't smell it from the other side of the room. Have you guys used it? What other applications have you found where it's well suited? Are there other negative implications?

My experience with it..........................it is absolutely WORTHLESS!

YMMV.

Where in Broken Arrow?

Jeff

I'll be... Not only a fellow Broken Arrowan but a computer nerd too! You'll probably get a kick out of my computer project when it's finished. I'm on the west side, edge of Tulsa.

My experience with it..........................it is absolutely WORTHLESS!

YMMV.

Well ive got $30.00 of it, at least I'll have something to put on my cereal when I'm out of milk!

That stuff does not work unless it's heated and then who knows. Went to Tractor Supply and got 5 gal. can of the good stuff.

I'll stick with paint thinner. Very seldom have I seen "New & Improved" better than the old "it's going to kill you stuff". There are the exceptions but when given the choice I'll take the original!

Oh, it came right out after I was done playing. For now it's doing a good job of filling a shelf, and the cleaner is spraying clear again. Pretty sure the way it was coming out, that pump wouldn't have lasted long. At least ill have something i dont mind wasting next time i have to throw gallons of solvent at something.

The real waste was the 3 gallons of solvent replacement Northern Tool sold me at $18/gal though. Made a good bubble bath.

My philosophy is that there is no foolish attempt, if your goal is to find out for yourself. Goal achieved! Thanks for the input guys!

I agree with most that it is pretty useless stuff, but I did find that it removes the gunk that comes on the HF 4 x 6 about the best of anything I have used. Just dampened a paper towel with it and one wipe got me clean bare metal.

Bob

Back