Milwaukie 2602-20 Drill Repair

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My beloved $50 garage sale Milwaukee drill won't switch into high gear today. The slide slide won't move. Works great on low range though. I've beat the crap out of it and it was used when I got it.

Has anyone repaired one of these drills? I'm trying to decide whether to try and repair it or just buy a new one and use the old one as a backup.

I found an M18 Fuel brushless on Ebay for $100 shipped. Says it has 725 lbs of torque verses mine at 500. Also has the side handle attachment. There have been times I could use the extra torque and from what I see in the vids about it has 50% longer battery life.

So repair or buy new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271779188195?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Had the same thing happen to mine, the little spring wire thingy (technical term ;)) slips out of the slot. Pretty easy to fix.

Hmmm..................you mean I have to fix this one and can't buy a new toy..............errrr..................tool????? :)

You can still buy a new tool, maybe you'll need the new one to fix the old one. Sounds reasonable to me.:grin:

The good news is that you will have a fully functional drill and have freed up the cash for something else you "need."

You should probably buy a new one as the old one is now "unreliable"! Still fix the old one too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the way you think!

I'm going to take the "old" one apart this morning and see if I can fix it.

Milwaukee used to build a good industrial quality product. Likely worth repairing. I have a 1/2" v/s arm-breaker myself waiting on time and energy to fix. It needs a whole new front end. From what? HOLE SAWS (see other thread) and a strong man. Yep, they are strong, but not unbreakable.

I bought this drill in a kit from a garage sale with the case and 2 batteries for $50 last year I think. By far it's the best drill corded or cordless I've ever had. After I bought this drill and found out how good it was, I ordered a 3/8" impact and it rocks. I can take lug nuts off my Blazer with it. I also picked up a V18 Sawsall and it's ok, but nothing like the M18 tools are. The V18 battery doesn't last long.

I did a little research this morning and if it needs parts like the gear case it's not worth repairing. The gear case is $92 and a new drill is $100 shipped. If anything I can keep it for low speed work.

There is a guy locally that has an M18 brushless 1/2" drill for $80 and it's new, but the one on Ebay is a fuel and has about 50% more torque and comes with the side handle.

I'll post what I find out when I take it apart.

Took it apart and really didn't find anything wrong. Moved the little tangs that move the ring gear up and down for high and low gear, put it back together and it works.

Kind of bittersweet, I wanted a new toy.....I mean tool, but feel good I was able to fix it.

Guess I can spend the money on the new Mitutoyo 1" mic instead :)

Back