Milling tutorial video for my freshman classmates

May be I am just old school,but I have a problem with advocating climb milling on manual mills with acme feed screws. One can get away with it on light cuts. Try it with a heavy cut and it's a good way to throw a part across the shop or have the cutter dig in and break. On computer controlled machine with ball screws this is not a problem. On a manual mill it will bite you when you least expect it.

I tried to watch the video..... Well I could watch it but no audio. The strange thing is, I can get audio from other YouTubes but nothing from Colorado School of Mines Mech Eng Machine Shop. I checked out several of there video's and no audio from any of them?

The audio is a strange glitch.
I have to go back, and look again, Blondihacks has good stuff too. I thought the video stated conventional, with a climb finish in there.

It appears that is just my laptop that won't play the audio. I have audio on Blondihacks, Clough42 and everything else I tried. Just not anything from the Colorado School of Mines. It works on my phone and my Tablet just not my laptop. Not a big deal, but I would like to know why.

On my browser, which is on a Linux OS, it finds the audio is there, on the left channel only.
[ Edit: Oops! My apologies to all. When tested, it came out officially on the right channel ! ]
[ PS. This is what comes of re-connecting busted phones wires ! ]

Last edited:
Ok, that makes since. I only have one speaker plugged in, I bet it's the right one. I'll check it later and report back.

Ok, that makes since. I only have one speaker plugged in, I bet it's the right one. I'll check it later and report back.
: Hi @Just for fun
Actually, this is a 50/50 chance thing. I have had to cut back and re-connect the headphone leads, My phones only go over the ears "one way correct", and for years I have identified "left" wrongly.

I have, only minutes ago, checked with the sound test app, and I can confirm that the info in post #6 is wrong! For "left", read "right".
Oops - sorry about that.

What may be happening with your setup is that mono sound defaults to the left, and the YT video has it delivered on the right.
Whichever way it is, it is possible the audio is with you, but on a channel your system won't let you have without some fiddling.

I have fixed post #6. My apologies.

It really doesn't matter right or left. When I plugged in both speakers I can hear the audio. What the deal is the audio in laptop has failed so I either have to listen with a head set which would have worked, or speakers. I just had one plugged in.

Thanks for figuring it out.

Tim

Back