Milling Machine DRO, 3 axis or 4? (Poll)

How many DRO axis for my Bridgeport?

• Total voters
I do a lot of odd ball one off machine work can,t live with out my 4 read outs and power knee, sharp LMV.
tool changes and back to zero

I have power on x,y,z,and quill, use them all.

Cranking is for curmudgeons

I have 2 axis Mitutoyo and am quite satisfied, however I would not like to live without my Touch Probe.

One thing I should mention is the Z axis scale was the most difficult to install. At least it was for my machine with a tapered column. The mounts and guard that came with my system were of no use. I had to make all the mounts and guards myself. Another thing was indicating the scale in. Be prepared to do alot of cranking or use a 3/4" drill like I did.

jegyme4u.jpg
turase7a.jpg
y3e7u7a4.jpg

sent from my hand held hickymajig

I put DROPROs scales on my newly purchased G0755. The support started from the first contact with them. I let them know the machine and the walked me through the choice of just X and Y in the magnetic scales with the 400 series dedicated mill interface. By far the best purchase yet for the improvement on the machine. He recommended that if I ever did want a readout on the quill that I use a stand alone Miti unit from ENCO. While not dead easy on the small mill the instructions were good and succeeded the first time.
I cannot recommend DROPROs enough.

Hi
I apologize for sidetracking this thread however I have a G0755 in transit and I ordered a 8 x 20 Grizzly DRO
to install on it.
Any tips or pictures would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any photos currently but will try to get out to the shop this afternoon and take some that I can post.

jegyme4u.jpg

Bit of a thread hijack but the low speed high torque drill and adapter used here is a great addition to the knee. The adapter just has same mating face as the manual handle and it comes off easily so handle can go on for small manual adjustment. I have a hook on the wall with my drill on it at the ready for a long traverse. Really nice for repetitive things like drilling and taping with the spring device where you need to go up and down. The drill and adapter usually found on the auction site. Can make your own adapter.

Sorry if you guys already knew this but it is so nice I thought I'd post.

I voted - keep doing it the hard way, there should have been a wanna have. My plan is for a 3 axis DRO (probably a Shooting Star) with a caliper style on the quill. It is at the top of the want list and as with so much else it is just a matter of $.
Michael

I maintain 8 Trak DPM-3 mills that have 4 axis with z summing and these are bed mills and use it all the time, I also have 2 Bridgeport series 1 and an ez Trak that only have 2 axis, the additional axis values are great for depth machining, its hard on your spindle bearings if you extend it out. I will bring the quill down to get the part height, raise it and then move the head down for the cutting. Its also much stiffer when you do it this way. Tim

Please define, "Keep doing it the hard way"? If you are referring to manual operation it is not the hard was, just a tad slower. I will keep doing it that way. It has served me well for over 40 years.

"Billy G"

Back