Milling Machine DRO, 3 axis or 4? (Poll)

How many DRO axis for my Bridgeport?

• Total voters
I had 2 axis on my Bridgeport clone MSC and when I decided I wanted a 3 axis I thought why not get 4 axis. Can't do it later so might as well do it now. Well that was 4 years ago, I have not regretted one minute since I did it. The reason I like it so much is because if I have to drop the table or raise the quill to get around an object, like the vise or a clamp, then I can return to exactly where I was in height. If you do get it I would suggest the better scales for the z and the q scales, I think mine are 1 um on the z and Q. The X and Y are standard 5um resolution. It adds 100.00 to the price but well worth it. By the way I bought mine from DRO PROS and the new one for my lathe came from them as well. They are great people to work with. If you are confused on anything or just need advise they will answer all your questions.

Cuebuilder

I picked 4. X and Y are just awesome. A quill one would get alot of use. The knee would not get much use I dont think. But I'm spending your money right now :thinking: in my short time using a mill, there have been a few times the knee would be nice. Your inserts get dull or you need to change tools. Facing multiple pieces to the same size would be alot easier I think, if you knew your knee 0 from the first part.

I put DROPROs scales on my newly purchased G0755. The support started from the first contact with them. I let them know the machine and the walked me through the choice of just X and Y in the magnetic scales with the 400 series dedicated mill interface. By far the best purchase yet for the improvement on the machine. He recommended that if I ever did want a readout on the quill that I use a stand alone Miti unit from ENCO. While not dead easy on the small mill the instructions were good and succeeded the first time.
I cannot recommend DROPROs enough.

I voted 4 axis. I just installed a 3 axis system on my mill with plans of a quill readout in the future.

The Scale on the knee may not be necessary, but I find it more of a luxury item than anything. I figured I would do it now and not wish I would have done it later.

Previously when I wanted to accuratley position in the Z I used a indicator with a magnetic back on the column. I didn't trust the dial on my handle. I really can't recall how many times I could not clearly see the indicator in certain set-ups, or forgot to move it before I cranked the Z up for a different operation. Now that I have it installed I absolutely love it and have no regrets spending the few extra bucks for the 3rd axis.

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Last edited:
My ZX-25 has a quill, but no knee. My Victoria U2 has a knee, but no quill on the vertical head. My view is that , if it can be moved while machining, it should have a display. Like Ray, I don't bother with it on the head of the round-column ZX.

The BP where I work has dro and power feed on X,Y,and knee. It is a pleasure to operate. We use the knee for boaring. Only use the quil for drilling.

I voted 3 axis although 2 axis is pretty sufficient. Like Ray, I don't consider the addition of a digital scale on the quill an additional axis of the DRO unit. So in my book a DRO with X, Y, & Z scales plus a digital scale on the quill is still a 3 axis DRO.

Also agreeing with Ray, although I don't have a knee mill, I do have the 3rd Z axis on my DRO but it's not something that I find very useful. I really only use it at times to mark a zero location and when I move the Z & come back to the location I just get it in the general area. I really only use X, Y, & the quill scale for precise monitoring & is why I stated 2 axis is sufficient.

The BPs I used at the local college just had 2 axis DROs, X & Y only & I really didn't see a need for a DRO on the knee. If you don't mind the additional cost & installation for the Z I would say go for it. If it's something that you are on the fence & considering I would say go foir it cause you might always get that feeling of regret not getting it.

Now if you can mount a glass scale for the DRO & have it read on the DRO display that would be awesome. I've been planning to do something similar if I can mount a slim glass scale inside the head & if I can add the fourth axis on my DRO.

Looks like you have the answer Randy, all four it is :)

I voted for 4, but the knee and the quill should be additive. I raise the knee 90% of the time when I have to go deeper with the cutter for milling. I like to keep the quill all the way up when I'm milling steel especially. For softer metals, it's not so important.

I have a 2 axis x/y on my mill with a cheap Igaging on the knee. I want to get a cheap digital scaly for my quill too, but, I just haven't gotten around to it.

For most things, x-y is really all you need- I consider that a must have, PERIOD. The other 2 on the z are just a makes it a little more convenient.

Back