Milling advice wanted - new to milling

Just need a few more MT2 collets like these to fit the cutters you're using. They're pretty much one collet per cutter size. You'll be happier with that. The end of the collet will be pretty much flush with the end of your spindle and be much more rigid. Rigidity is something to always be striving for in machining. Might look like a big solid piece of metal you've got there, but it'll flex a surprising amount and cause more leverage to flex your machine.
525128567_o.jpg
Two of the most important things to learn is keep the cutter as close to the spindle as possible, and keep the area of cut as close to the vise top as possible (while still being able to make successive cuts and finish the job without unclamping it). Though the work holding part of it tends to be more of a "oh crap, it moved and screwed up the cut/cutter" instead of a "it's not cutting well" kind of thing.

This should also help. Feeding slower is no big deal, but try to get in the ballpark for the rpm/sfpm caluclation. http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/milling-speed-and-feed
Here's a chart of common materials to get the SFPM from to feed into that formula: http://www.vm68.com/stuff/sfpm.html

The fundamentals are feed, speed, and depth of cut. Feed, handcranks. Speed, spindle rpm. Depth of cut, depends on the rigidity of your setup and the strength of the cutter, and will take some experience with your machine and setup to determine. Nothing wrong with smaller DoC as you're learning too, it'll just take more passes to get the job done. It'll take some practice to get a good feel for it.

I agree, the tool holders are probably reasonably hard, and that makes the challenge go up a few levels. I'd start with maybe 35 SFPM, so if I was using a 1/2" endmill, it would go something like this: (35 x 3.8) / .5 = 266 rpm for a high speed steel endmill. And then RPM figures into feed rate meaning the slower the cutter is turning, the slower you'll need to feed it. Making more tool holders from mild steel would be fantastic practice and a greater likelihood of first time success than trying to tackle an unknown steel in an unknown state.

525128567_o.jpg

cederholm, you have received good guidance; conventional milling, correct speed & feed and a stiffer shorter setup. If you can here is another suggestion; anneal the part, make it softer, take your cuts then harden it again. Not everyone is able to do this but if you can it would be a great help. Its difficult to mill hard metal, you need every advantage you can muster when doing this on a small machine.

For my curiosity why are you doing this? Is the holder too high to center the cutter?

Caster

Last edited:
Fantastic advice everyone and I am taking it all to heart.

Being the genius that I am, I posted this while halfway through my last tool holder and was only able to apply it to the final cuts. Things turned out well, but I did destroy two endmills in the process. I will be taking everything mentioned about into account as I improve my setup and make a few things to better my skills. On the short list is a carriage stop and some other small tools for the shop. Making other tool holders also sounds like a great project.

Caster, yes, that's the reason exactly. By removing .150 from the bottom corner I now have the adjustment I need and using my lathe has just become more enjoyable.

~ Carl

cederholm, you have received good guidance; conventional milling, correct speed & feed and a stiffer shorter setup. If you can here is another suggestion; anneal the part, make it softer, take your cuts then harden it again. Not everyone is able to do this but if you can it would be a great help. Its difficult to mill hard metal, you need every advantage you can muster when doing this on a small machine.

For my curiosity why are you doing this? Is the holder too high to center the cutter?

Caster

I didn't notice anyone mention to lock the "Y" axis while milling in the "X" axis direction and visa versus. This will help tighten up your set up and keep the table from creeping off location. Of course, locking the spindle too.

I didn't notice anyone mention to lock the "Y" axis while milling in the "X" axis direction and visa versus. This will help tighten up your set up and keep the table from creeping off location. Of course, locking the spindle too.
Oh yeah, big time! I just broke my favorite endmill by forgetting that. Lock all axes that you're not moving.

I often adjust depth of cut and then lock that axis. Doing things manually I try to have only one axis moving and the others locked down tight. without locking them down they tend to drift and create some nasty chatter. Good way to destroy Carbide!

Feed in the opposite direction.

You are climb milling, a big NO-NO for manual machinery. the cutter pulls the work into itself, taking far larger bits of metal than it was designed for. By feeding from the other end, you will be pushing against the rotation of the cutter, and there is no slack in the feedscrew.

Not to contradict you; I'm certainly not an expert and you have your opinion, I can't argue with that.

If you tighten your gibs or engage the table lock a little (adding a little drag to the table) you can sometimes climb mill on a manual mill. It might not be a good idea to do it on a combo machine or small mills, but is possible on manual machinery that is stout enough. (Larger benchtop and up) but if you only have a small mill save your climb milling for the last finishing pass, only removing a few thou.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mr. Bill, I learned that lesson fast on my own. :)

~ Carl

Back