Milling advice wanted - new to milling

collets that fit the head will allow you to have a much more rigid setup. The further out your tool is the more it will have a tendency to start shaking and cause all kinds of problems. Collets allow the tool to stay close to the head.

Got it! Thank you!!!

collets that fit the head will allow you to have a much more rigid setup. The further out your tool is the more it will have a tendency to start shaking and cause all kinds of problems. Collets allow the tool to stay close to the head.

That is about 10X too much tool hanging out of the spindle, the tool block is likely fairly hard as well.

Also, climb milling with 1/2 or more of the tool diameter step over will not walk until the tool breaks through the end of the material. If you reverse the spindle bad things will happen, you wouldn't run a RH drill bit left handed would you?

Last edited:
There are tool holders (hold the end mil lwith a set screw) that go in where your collet is, eliminating the vast majority of your tool length.

I'll second that those holders are hardened and unfriendly to end mills. Looks like a job for a grinder. Might be less trouble to build you're own holders, and much more fun.

Agreed on the climb milling. Just reverse your spindle motor and see if that helps. Feed in the same direction.

Normally running the end mill in reverse will destroy it instantly. Just feed from the other direction, against the rotation of the cutter (Conventional milling) as opposed to cutting in the same direction of rotation. (Climb Milling)

Normally running the end mill in reverse will destroy it instantly. Just feed from the other direction, against the rotation of the cutter (Conventional milling) as opposed to cutting in the same direction of rotation. (Climb Milling)

Ran a 100+ part lathe job several months ago requiring 4 manual tool changes (QCTP), turn and face, plunge straight in with a 9/16 endmill because the job required a bore with a flat bottom, bore to finished diameter and depth and part off. The only sharp endmill that I could find in the shop was Left handed, this requires a spindle direction change from all of the other tools. I failed to change direction after 20 or so parts, it cracked all four corners off of the tool before I could blink. The material is 6061 aluminum.

Keep in mind that this is a CNC lathe so I ran the tool into the work very rapidly, and BOOM over.

T Bredehoft,

I am using one of those holders, am I not? I understand that my tool might be set to low but is it okay to use the holder shown?

There are tool holders (hold the end mil lwith a set screw) that go in where your collet is, eliminating the vast majority of your tool length.

T Bredehoft,

I am using one of those holders, am I not? I understand that my tool might be set to low but is it okay to use the holder shown?

There is a lot of tool/holder sticking out from the spindle, if you have a collet that will hold the endmill in the spindle then that would help the setup. It's OK to use it that way, but it is less ridged than having a shorter setup. You just have to compensate by taking lighter cuts.

It looks like the width of the cut is greater than 1/2 the diameter of the end mill, that can tend to pull the tool into the work. This may be why the endmill is chipping. I would make that cut in 2 passes on the width with a springy setup, maybe 1/4 the diameter of the endmill.

Back