Miller Knuth power hacksaw

The wife's current interest is stained glass and she let me know that she wants a saw that will cut glass.

I'm always learning new stuff here. Certainly didn't know you could saw thin glass.
I always scribe it with diamond tip glass cutter then snap it along the line if it's a straight cut, or nibble it bit by bit with pincers if it's a curve, then finish with fine grit abrasive cloth or stone.

Do you have a link to that saw?

M

I'm always learning new stuff here........................

Do you have a link to that saw?

M

I hope we all are learning here. I know I am.

I did not know glass cutting methods other than what you mentioned until the wife got interested in stained glass. There are several different styles of glass saws. The wife wants one with the diamond impregnated wire for cutting tite shapes. These work like a wood scroll saw except with the round diamond wire blade and water coolant. Link to some photos and info: http://www.delphiglass.com/search
Who knows, maybe I can make this work for me. It might be handy to the hobby machinist to cut hard heat treated materials or carbide tooling.:thinking:

Benny

I hope we all are learning here. I know I am.

I did not know glass cutting methods other than what you mentioned until the wife got interested in stained glass. There are several different styles of glass saws. The wife wants one with the diamond impregnated wire for cutting tite shapes. These work like a wood scroll saw except with the round diamond wire blade and water coolant. Link to some photos and info: http://www.delphiglass.com/search
Who knows, maybe I can make this work for me. It might be handy to the hobby machinist to cut hard heat treated materials or carbide tooling.:thinking:

Benny

Interesting stuff in that link, but WOW, the prices, and I thought our hobby was expensive! :yikes:

M

Got frustrated with an electrical repair project this afternoon so stopped and tried cleaning some of the rust and dirt off the little MK power hacksaw. Using WD-40, wire brush, and steel wool it is cleaning up better than I though it would. Just got started and have a ways to go. Need to take it apart to do it right but not today. It is still a back burner project.

I have included a couple of new photos. The large photo shows the cleaning progress and has an arrow pointing to the area of a missing lever. There is also a drink can to show the size of the "cute little saw". For progress reference the last photo in the first post is from about the same angle. The small photo is a clip from a photo of someone's saw from another web site showing what I think is the correct lever. If anyone has one of these little saws I would appreciate if you could provide a sketch with dimensions. If not I will have to fake it. Best I can tell all the lever does is hold the saw arm in the UP position while loading and startup.

Benny

Just joined this group and saw the post about your MK power hacksaw. I found one a couple years ago, in running condition, but rather worn and missing lots of "accessories". I didn't have the bracket or arm to hold the saw up, so I cast some parts. The swinging cam has notches in the edge that engage the support plate on the saw frame. The last picture shows the patterns and the extra cam I cast of aluminum. If you are interested in this solution, let me know.
If you or others have the cams to lift the saw on the return stroke, I'd like some explanation of how they work. Those parts are missing on my saw, and I'm tempted to fabricate the pieces.
Rex
KnuthHoldupOnSaw.jpgKnuthMiddleNotch.jpgKnuthHoldupPatterns.jpg

KnuthHoldupOnSaw.jpg KnuthHoldupPatterns.jpg KnuthMiddleNotch.jpg

Just joined this group and saw the post about your MK power hacksaw............f you are interested in this solution, let me know.

If you or others have the cams to lift the saw on the return stroke, I'd like some explanation of how they work. Those parts are missing on my saw, and I'm tempted to fabricate the pieces.
Rex

Rex,
Welcom to the group. Nice design and casting job.

Thanks for the offer but I no longer have the saw. I really did not need a power hacksaw or another project but could not resist adopting the saw from the scrap yard. Bringing old tools home is an addiction. Fellow forum member Gary Max needed/wanted a power hacksaw so I let him become it's caretaker. You can see in the following link what he has done with it so far if you have not already found his post. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-finds-new-home-yipppeeeeee?p=73393#post73393

Miller Knuth made a number of different models and I was able to find a manual for the MK "Sawmaster" that appears to be the same saw I had. It had a model name but seemed mechanically to be exactly same as mine. I don't remember exactly where I found it but if you want a copy PM me with and address and I will email it to you.

I also found a guy who had NOS parts from a business he purchased. I gave his contact info to Gary but Gary told me he was not responding. He may be like me and not do his email very often. Maybe Gary will jump in here with an update on the parts situation.

Benny

Back