Miller Knuth power hacksaw

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Today a power hacksaw followed me home today. I have to find some way to stop this from happening!:lmao: It is a project that will go on the back burner which is already overloaded. I am surprised that the wife let me go get it. She must want something!:bitingnails:

This is the second power hacksaw to come my way. A friend brought one back from up near Boston and dumped it in my yard. It had been out in the weather too long to do anything with so it is still out behind the barn. The one I brought home today is restorable and got a spot in the garage. It looks mostly complete as far as I know but then I have a lot to learn before saying for sure.

Any information anyone has about this type of saw is welcome as I will need to learn as I go.

I know everyone likes pictures so attached are some initial as-found photos. I will inspect, clean, and rust protect it in the next few days. Maybe I will learn more as I do that.

Thanks, Benny

MK Saw Model 3156.JPG MK Saw Front.JPG MK Saw Back.JPG

It's certainly got a lot more character than the HF 4x6 bandsaw I bought recently.

That one has to be worth restoring if only for the pleasure of looking at it.

M

..............And if you need blades theres ebay and http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Power-Hacksaw-Blades/1705.html............
Paul

Paul,
Thanks for the blade source info. I am a ways off from needing blades but have filed the link away.

The old saw brings back memories. When I first went to work the company I worked for had larger power hacksaws that ran all the time just to keep up. Raymond, the operator, was one of the busiest guys in the shop. The power hacksaws were all replaced by the faster bandsaws.

Benny

I guess I am okay with the wife about the new/old hacksaw. She came through the garage a little while ago and stopped at the power hacksaw and said "That thing sure is cute". I still think she is working up to letting me know what she wants!:bitingnails:

Started do some research for my saw today. Found a lot of links but one of the most useful one so far is for a manual for the Sawmaster power hack saw also made by Miller Knuth. It has information about blades, adjustments, operation, and maintenance. No manual for the one I have yet but a saw is a saw, right? I know nothing about using one and it a good starting place. Meanwhile the band saw did what cutting I needed done today.

Anyone interested in a power hacksaw manual the Sawmaster link is below:
http://www.rustyiron.com/literature/Sawmaster_Power_Hacksaw.pdf
The link might prove useful for other materials some are looking for.

Looking at photos of other's MK power hacksaws on the internet I have found that my saw is missing a few pieces. I don't think anything is missing that would stop it from being usable. Also noticed today that one piece was broken and welded at some point. The repair seems to be done well so should not be an issue. Just need to check the alignment when I get to it.

Benny

Anyone interested in a power hacksaw manual the Sawmaster link is below:
http://www.rustyiron.com/literature/Sawmaster_Power_Hacksaw.pdf
The link might prove useful for other materials some are looking for.

Benny

That manual was an interesting read. I noticed that on the blade frame support bar they appear to have used an example of engine turning/machine turning as a decorative finish, a subject discussed on another thread.

In fact attention to appearance was obviously a major consideration in the original design; the shape of the legs, the shape of the cutouts on the belt guard, and the turning on the frame all contribute to the 'character' I referred to earlier and is possibly why your wife thinks it's cute.

Should look great when it's done.

M

Benny thanks for the link for the manual i haven't looked for one yet. If there is anything you need a picture of or measurements for let me know.

Paul

Benny thanks for the link for the manual i haven't looked for one yet. If there is anything you need a picture of or measurements for let me know.

Paul

Paul,
Thanks for the offer. Check your PM.
Benny

Got frustrated with an electrical repair project this afternoon so stopped and tried cleaning some of the rust and dirt off the little MK power hacksaw. Using WD-40, wire brush, and steel wool it is cleaning up better than I though it would. Just got started and have a ways to go. Need to take it apart to do it right but not today. It is still a back burner project.

I have included a couple of new photos. The large photo shows the cleaning progress and has an arrow pointing to the area of a missing lever. There is also a drink can to show the size of the "cute little saw". For progress reference the last photo in the first post is from about the same angle. The small photo is a clip from a photo of someone's saw from another web site showing what I think is the correct lever. If anyone has one of these little saws I would appreciate if you could provide a sketch with dimensions. If not I will have to fake it. Best I can tell all the lever does is hold the saw arm in the UP position while loading and startup.

Benny

Clean Start - MK Back.jpg MK Missing Lever.jpg

Benny I'll check mine tomorrow it has the same arm, Will get some pictures and measurement's mite even take it off prolly would be better.

Paul

Back