[Metrology] Mill Spindle Mounted Microscope (aka Cheap Optical Comparator)

I finally got some time to play with ver. 5. It looks like you have added all the features on my wish list, Jim. Many thanks again for sharing with us!

Bob

It's my pleasure. I have no doubt that you will find something else it needs, and I will be happy to accommodate.:) The additions just make it better.

OK Jim and Fretsman. The problem must be with with my version of Win8.1 or my laptop.
I have one other option I might try, but its a long shot: I have several older pen computers running Win98. Since a camera - once set up - won't need a keyboard and rarely mouse input (pen input), I could set one up as a dedicated microscope screen.
Will the program work under Win98? I haven't had a chance to try 'blind' yet, but just checking if I'm wasting my time? The first thing I need to see if I can find a Win98 driver for my camera....

OK Jim and Fretsman. The problem must be with with my version of Win8.1 or my laptop.
I have one other option I might try, but its a long shot: I have several older pen computers running Win98. Since a camera - once set up - won't need a keyboard and rarely mouse input (pen input), I could set one up as a dedicated microscope screen.
Will the program work under Win98? I haven't had a chance to try 'blind' yet, but just checking if I'm wasting my time? The first thing I need to see if I can find a Win98 driver for my camera....

I think it should work with Win98, but no way to test it.

My fault because I didn't read all the verbage. I have a win-10 desktop, a win 8 laptop, and a linux machine controller. Of course the camera software doesn't work with any of them. I see that Jim has some form of program that can use the camera, but I doubt it's a give-away since he is in business. So, long way around, is there a cost effective way to use the camera? Or was it another lesson in checking dependencies.

I see that Jim has some form of program that can use the camera, but I doubt it's a give-away since he is in business.

You would be incorrect. :) My software is absolutely free! Let me know how it works on Win 10, It will not work on Linux, it should work on Win 8

Attached is the updated DC_Microscope5.zip. It is an installer package to install the program on your computer. This has been tested on WinXP, Win 7, and Win 8, installs and works fine. When installing, if it asks you if you want to keep your existing Quartz.dll file, YES, keep your existing file.

Attachments

• DC_Microscope5.zip
    2 MB · Views: 34
That's down right generous of you to to do this. The program installs without error in win-10. The program loads and appears to be behaving. I do not get a picture from the camera. I opened Settings>Cameras>Add New Camera. I am presented with a long list, but I don't recognize anything that would be the microscope. I get the same thing with Win-8.1.The solution is probably obvious, but it escapes me. In my defense, I just got out of the hospital after 3 weeks of pneumonia. My brain is about as sharp as jello right now.

Up for a challenge, Jim? Log 3 planar points and calculate the radius/diameter.Or to make it worse, log a minimum of 3 points and construct a "best fit" radius/diameter, along with a calculated center point.

While we're at it, log 2 points to create a line, and 2 more to create a separate line and calculate the angle between them, if any.

but I don't recognize anything that would be the microscope

It may be listed as USB Video Device with the Windows default drivers, if you have installed the drivers that came with the camera it may be listed as some kind of camera. Plug in the camera before you start the program.

Up for a challenge, Jim? Log 3 planar points and calculate the radius/diameter.Or to make it worse, log a minimum of 3 points and construct a "best fit" radius/diameter, along with a calculated center point.

While we're at it, log 2 points to create a line, and 2 more to create a separate line and calculate the angle between them, if any.

Tony, you are making my head hurt. ;)

Not sure how I would do this without the DRO connected to the computer. I guess you could manually input the points from the keyboard, taking the reading from the DRO or the dials. Would be pretty easy to do on my machine because the DRO is the computer. The math isn't too hard, just a little trig and geometry. I'll take a look at this when I get time.:)

Back