Metal Working Files...Which?

If you see shiny edges to the teeth you know its dull. Actually if you see reflected light from any cutting edge its dull.
Also I grip the file between thumb and forefinger and slide them down the file itself, by doing this you will notice how sharp the cutting edges feel, and where is the most worn part of the file.
To sharpen it up, try forcing it to rust by leaving it outside in the weather getting wet for a week or so.
You can also try an acid bath, carefully, although I've never done this.

Last edited:
I have a few well worn, but never abused, high quality files that are still my go to files for finishing stuff I care about. They might be considered dull, but they leave a very nice finish. A lot of new files, even quality ones, leave a pretty crappy finish until they get broken in.

Bob makes a very valid point regarding file breakin, and the last bit of the file down near the tang seems to be a zone where not so much filing happens and lasts a lot longer.
I use this part a lot for draw filing.

Bob makes a very valid point regarding file breakin, and the last bit of the file down near the tang seems to be a zone where not so much filing happens and lasts a lot longer.
I use this part a lot for draw filing.
Yes, drawing puts that section to good use.

Back