Metal Working Files...Which?

How about a dremel type tool? Lots of stones, carbide bits, slitting discs, sanding drums and who knows what other bits and pieces to fit them.
I'd like a better idea of what your filing. If your planning on machining a concave depression just get the appropriate radius ballnose endmill.
If you must generate your own cutter for experiences sake, make sure you don't go too thin on the lands or your cutting edge will be unsupported and break down under load. A 2 degree angle with a land width of 30-40 thou will give you a secondary angle and after hardening stone the primary. This pic is of an square endmill but you can still apply it to a ballnose.

techdat4.gif

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this as well. I've heard nothing but bad things about modern Nicholson files. Does Grobet still make good files? Other brands? While we're on the topic, can someone point me to educational material on the different file types and when to use which file?

I've got a bunch of very high quality vintage Swiss jewelry and watch/clock files. I've also got a bunch of old files that I have no idea whether they're still good or need sharpening (how do I tell?).

The first Nicholson Mexican factory files were awful. Since then they have improved considerably, and are now worth buying. I am good with their current products.

See the link I posted on ebay - 20 bucks for several lifetime supplies for several people.

It was also $43 in shipping!

Too bad they don't sell in smaller quantities.

I prefer Grobet and Pferd. Just wanted to say that Grobet USA outsources to China. Grobet from Europe is made in Switzerland the last time I checked. Pferd is still made in Germany. Both European brands make excellent files.

My lathe files are from Nicholson and are still made in the US. They are excellent files and I think I bought these on Amazon. If you haven't used a lathe file before, try them. Mine are single cut fine files that shave off metal, whether it is turning on the lathe or not.

I've been wondering about this as well. I've heard nothing but bad things about modern Nicholson files. Does Grobet still make good files? Other brands? While we're on the topic, can someone point me to educational material on the different file types and when to use which file?
http://www.nicholsontool.com/MagentoShare/media/documents/nicholson-guide-to-filing-2014.pdf

Just one of many available. Simmons also has some good material and product. Quality control is an issue, wherever goods are manufactured, and I think the missing link today is someone actually knowing what's missing. If you've never been exposed there's no way to know what is missing. I don't think we should be so naive to think all of yesteryear produced only quality products. The rule of thumb applied to fruits and vegetables; If it tastes good the farmer grew it, and if it doesn't the banker grew it,,,,,, also applies to the quality of other products.

You can find NOS US made Nicholsons on ebay.
Also Bahco files can be had for a good price good quality too.

Try them and see how they work!
Bob,
I'm not sure I'd know a good, sharp file from a crappy one. Thus the request for training information on files.

Evan

Back