Mechanics tools ? Wrenches , Sockets and Ratchets , whatever else .

Old SK Wayne (new SK is junk) old Craftsman, Mac, Cornwell. SK was brought around '61-'62; the others shortly after.

I have them all and use them all. I particularly like Wright, Snap-On, and Stahlwille. I used to have a full set of Snap-On tools waaaaay back in my mechanic days. No more—they were stolen. And I won’t pay that price any more, but I have Snap-On shorty wrenches and line wrenches and they live up to the hype. Wright is just as good. Williams is Snap-On’s budget brand, and I suspect they are imported, but my Williams sockets are really excellent.

But I do have lots of US-era Craftsman, too. And Proto, and S-K.

My Stahlwille metric offset wrenches are my go-to metric wrenches.

But I have cheapie import brands that work, too.

IMG_8908-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8907-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8906-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8910-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8897-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8896-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8895-dsqz.JPG

Rick “plus what’s in the road box” Denney

While I am not strict on my old craftsman, that is the bulk of what I have. I keep looking for the craftsman tool chests that were green (only made them for a little bit).

I do have emergency tools under the trucks back seat that are a combination of new craftsman and harbor freight. Those harbor freight are great for getting stuck in the rain when in serious need, so I can toss without worry if they malfunction.

I've not had major issues with harbor freight, but I do treat them like a throw away.

Other than that, the old craftsman seem to be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I do have emergency tools under the trucks back seat that are a combination of new craftsman and harbor freight. Those harbor freight are great for getting stuck in the rain when in serious need, so I can toss without worry if they malfunction.
I carry them myself ! They slide nicely under the seat . I forget they're there .

BTW, try to get an S-K tool warranted...........
There is an S-K sign on the Shop Vac building, but very few cars in the parking lot........
No surprise there cause Great Star, the Chinese company that bought SK, is also the same company that bought out Shop Vac.

Cool thread.
I have a mix of older USA tools.
Mostly Craftsman and Williams with a few Thorsen and Proto thrown in.
I've made a concerted effort to rid myself of All the chinese tools in my life. Still have a few china sockets in my 3/4 drive set and a couple of combination wrenches in the tool boxes on each of my tractors but beyond that everything is usa made.

Since Snap-On bought the Williams name, it has become the second-level brand for them. This does not mean the quality is less, but that their target customer isn't as concerned with shiny finish. Williams was always a brand for millwrights and other industrial users, who didn't have the access issues of auto mechanics.
Williams has become the place were good SO tools that have been superseded by newer, flashier, or more sophisticated models soldier on for those who need a good quality tool without going to the top of the line.

Since Snap-On bought the Williams name, it has become the second-level brand for them. This does not mean the quality is less, but that their target customer isn't as concerned with shiny finish. Williams was always a brand for millwrights and other industrial users, who didn't have the access issues of auto mechanics.
Williams has become the place were good SO tools that have been superseded by newer, flashier, or more sophisticated models soldier on for those who need a good quality tool without going to the top of the line.
I would whole heartedly agree. When I left the auto repair business in the mid 1980's I went to a food manufacturer. My first job was a Mechanian, which is really a glorified jack of all trades. The main duties of that job were to make final design changes to prototype equipment, ensure those changes were implemented and documented, and install the equipment in the field for testing.

The Snap-On man would visit the Assembly Department on a weekly basis but make very few sales due to the cost of the tools. In the mid 90's they started offering Williams tools at a more reasonable price. The assemblers bought far more Williams tools than they ever did the Snap-On brand.

Got a start . Been retired since April and haven't even unloaded my work boxes . This probably represents 10% of what's here . :grin: Going to try to squeeze the 3 large Vidmars into this little one .

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    746.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    553 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    461.6 KB · Views: 17
My go to brands depend on the sizes, for the day to day BSF/Whitworth/BA (mostly I work on vintage aircraft) I use Britool and King Dick most of which I inherited or bought from older co workers as they retired, allof these sets are much older than I am.

for US/AF imperial sizes Snap on is still my favorite, and for the metric which I have had to get for modern cars I really like the Tramontina Pro brand, Brazilian made I believe, but I have yet to manage to break anything despite some serious abuse!

Back