Mechanics tools ? Wrenches , Sockets and Ratchets , whatever else .

That’s almost like asking if you had only 1 or 2 guns which ones would you choose? I like em all, even the less costly, after all they are tools.
Does that make me a toolaholic?

Chuck

That’s almost like asking if you had only 1 or 2 guns which ones would you choose? I like em all, even the less costly, after all they are tools.
Does that make me a toolaholic?

Chuck
That means you are a tool addict... Like most things addictive, only worse and ever more expensive!

It depends what situation you are working in; for heavy industrial, Armstrong/ Williams is the place t0o go, for ordinary shop work, SK and similar makes are fine, fot more modern close clearance work, Proto and Snap On are the choice. Other brands fall in between. I am somewhere in the middle tier.

As others have said, I have an assortment of wrenches, and sockets. Mostly Snap-on and Mac, some S-K and some Craftsman.

I was shocked a few years ago when I posted some photos on a truck forum and some kid says, "Oh cool, old-school stuff". And then I tracked down a Snap-On dealer a while back to get a socket replaced, he says "WOW! I've never seen a socket that old; I didn't even know Snap-On made them like that".

Still have my original Craftsman set from 74', along with several other sets of slightly later sets of the same brand. A few here and there of most other US brands, along with some Chinese stuff. Like others, pretty full up on hand tools, but dangle something shiny in front of me and I just might bite. Mike

If you had to get down to 1 or 2 sets , what brand would they be ?

Old Craftsman
Armstrong
Williams
Snap On
Wright
Proto
Monkey Wards ( forget the name )
Western Auto
HF
Mac
SK
Matco
Olsen
Kokal

Trying to make a pole but can't figure out how to . :frown:

Feel free to add any I might have missed .
Gedore or Haznet (both German):

And if I could only keep one tool..... my genuine "thumb detecting nut effer".... and only because it has the integrated thumb detector. Otheriwse, I don't like nut lathes, I never use them. :big grin:
Scaffold wrenches have hammers built in. Most are ratchets, but an adjustable is a possibility.

I'm partial to Williams, having been around millwrights, who also like Proto. I have a set of Bonney combos, with the Loc-Rite (off-corner engagement) box end. I really like them. You should add Bonney to your list.

I started out with a set given me for my 14th birthday. It was made up of all sorts of classic American brands, like P&C, Plomb, Powr-Kraft (Wards), SK, Crescent, and Indestro. They came from pawn shops and second-hand stores. I've been partial to the old brands ever since.

The problem with liking the old brands is that there are very few Metric options.

I made a living with Craftsman =V= tools for a couple of decades. They never let me down.

Go with the brand that has life warranty.

BTW, try to get an S-K tool warranted...........
There is an S-K sign on the Shop Vac building, but very few cars in the parking lot........

Back