Measuring Device ?

Guys, I've seen one of these long measuring tools in a machine shop, but have never seen it used or used one myself. It was in the back of the tool store wrapped in grease paper with it's own neat box. The only thing that I can think that it would be used for is for measuring a large casting on a face plate, like a height gauge or measuring the distance between pins in holes machined into a casting. Another possible use could be in the measuring of timing marks on large steam engine linkages or on diesel engine timing gears when a trammel gauge is not available. Just my thoughts. Geoffrey.

The photos don't show the "zero" end of the rod. If it were ground square, this would probably be a precision gauge for measuring (small diameter) hole depths.

Nice tool. If it goes to 36" I suppose it can't be less than about 20" collapsed if use for end to measurement, like a bore gauge. If it goes to zero, then it must be used to measure from only one end, like a height gauge. What does it have on its ends? Anvils faces or machined surfaces for attachment of something?

The ends have 1/4-28 Allen head screws that's it ,no flange ,it dose go from 0 to 36" , dose not collapse, it is hardened .
I was thinking it went on a lathe , with slider attached to apron somehow ,but that's my quess
it didn't really cost me anything , thought about selling it but some day I might need something like it. I'll oil it down and
Put it up with a bunch of other tools I might use someday , shop is getting crowded with someday tools.:encourage:
I got a starett 48" x 1/8,1/16,32,64, from same place , I'll put it next to it.
Thanks

I think that would be nice to have on my lathe bad. I use a long dial indicator now when I need to gauge an X move. Having several inches of travel could come in handy. Then again, I could always get a DRO for the lathe, but I'm too cheap... and really don't need it.

That's what I thought I would do with it but decided not to.

View attachment 104749 Hi all , I've Ben picking a cl add for a while now and this is about the last of the unknown to me items.View attachment 104747View attachment 104748
It has graduations to 36"the slider has its own graduations and rides in dove tails, no name on it , it is well made.
First thought is for a lathe bed travel, won't work on my SB 10L , any practical uses for it
Thanks

Looks like maybe some sort of device for measuring from a shoulder step to the next corner, using a vernier gauge. Probably for large machined pieces. Whatever it is it reads about 21.224".

Back