McMaster-Carr, +1!

I ordered some items a couple weeks ago. Of course after I hit send, I thought of another item I needed. I went in to see if I could modify that order and add something. I ended doing it by texting, and they added the item. And this was at about 7 pm at night. No idea if I was texting a person or computer, but it worked.

Normally they are a bit more, but not always. Some items i ordered, I could not find any cheaper anywhere else, at least without spending a lot more time looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we're on a 'praise McMaster kick', they have Will Call hours 7 days a week in LA. I have placed an order online and picked it up in a couple hours, on SUNDAY!

On the subject of price, when I was working and had a company credit card, if McMaster had what I wanted, that's where I bought it because it was FAST and EASY. Shopping around for a better price just wasn't worth the cost (to the customer) of my time at the burdened rate. For Personal purchases these days, I love a bargain price, however with the cost of fuel and the evaporation of local brick-and-mortar sources in general, McMaster is very high on my list of sources. McMaster charges less shipping, for a small box, than my fuel cost for a round trip to the closest ACE Hardware store. Take into account that the ACE may not carry (or be out-of-stock with) what I want and McMaster is a no-brainer.

I agree with all of the above praise for McMaster. One other thing that is way cool about this is that I can get engineering drawings for almost everything they sell (at least where it makes sense) and when working in Fusion 360, I can directly access and insert 3D models of parts directly.

That's another benefit... I can place an order one day and get it the next day.

I live 40 minutes from the Douglasville, GA warehouse, so if I need it the same day, I can order it online and it will be waiting for me at the will call desk by the time I get there.

-Bear

I have been using them for a few years now. About 18 months ago I placed and order and got the items the next day. Later I received an email that my credit card on file had expired and I needed to update my info. Pretty cool they just shipped the items to me on an honor system. Most companies would have cancelled my order and waited until I updated my info.

MSC , McMaster and Grainger lately . Overnight shipping is available from all . Fastenal is still up and coming but I could get things in 30 minutes as they were 1/2 mile away . Eons ago I bought from WC Chapmans . Walt was a local small time guy but sold nothing other than top quality stuff . He died but I guess a son or relative took on the business and is still in business . All my Nachi end mills and OSG/Guhring taps came by the way of Walt . All my wall charts are 40 years old from him . :) Out of the big 3 , I just compare the prices as they all are different in some way or the other for the same products .

When I still lived in NJ, I placed a couple orders with McMaster in the morning, and they were delivered that afternoon by courier. I couldn’t believe they did that, that was about 20 years ago, not sure if they still do, but it was a nice surprise.

My local Fastenal no longer allows walk in customers, so I just add what I need at McMaster-Carr to my shopping cart, and when it gets large enough or I have something in there that I need the next day, I buy it. I like that it keeps my cart for weeks, there are some places that if I haven’t purchased in a few hours, it empties the cart.

My sister-in-law worked for McMaster about 20 years ago, she said it was a great company to work for, they treated their employees really well. The only reason she left was they moved to FL. I was disappointed when they did, I lost my “employee discount” lol.

Agree: while not low prices, if they have what I need now I know I’ll have a no hassle experience with McM.

Grainger has a local branch, so I save shipping and haven’t had any issues with returns. Also, even though I only place & pickup orders a few times a year, the folks seem to recognize me and are great to work with. (I do check Zoro - a Grainger company - and Grainger/Zoro on eBay for prices)

MSC on eBay is OK, but had issues with a pickup order from the local-ish branch so I tend to avoid.

Back