Material wont fit in spindle. Now what?

NoShopSkills

Active User
Registered
Trying to keep this "in house", but the material supplied (3' bar stock) wont fit through the spindle. It's a simple shaft end bore, to receive a female spline receiver hacked out of a transmission and turned down to a diameter that fits in the shaft bore, one of my choosing. Retained by a spot of weld, a woodruff key and setscrews, or a spring clip, again lots of options. Plenty of latitude and loose tolerances. Not up for cutting the internal blind spline receiver directly in the shaft because the receiver part was supplied.

The new material is just a few thousands over my spindle bore. I knew that was a possibility, but this morning I find it wont fit.

suggestions?

clamp the stock to the cross slide and push it into a spinning bore bit? or turn the mill head 90 degrees and line bore with the milling machine (shaft is too long to mount vertically)? hand drill in a vise?

BTW the budget for this project is about $10 (ha)

I do have access to a bigger lathe but like I said I want to do it myself.
Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Trying to keep this "in house", but the material supplied (3' bar stock) wont fit through the spindle. It's a simple shaft end bore, to receive a female spline receiver hacked out of a transmission and turned down to a diameter that fits in the shaft bore, one of my choosing. Retained by a spot of weld, a woodruff key and setscrews, or a spring clip, again lots of options. Plenty of latitude and loose tolerances. Not up for cutting the internal blind spline receiver directly in the shaft because the receiver part was supplied.

The new material is just a few thousands over my spindle bore. I knew that was a possibility, but this morning I find it wont fit.

suggestions?

clamp the stock to the cross slide and push it into a spinning bore bit? or turn the mill head 90 degrees and line bore with the milling machine (shaft is too long to mount vertically)? hand drill in a vise?

BTW the budget for this project is about $10 (ha)

I do have access to a bigger lathe but like I said I want to do it myself.
Thanks for your inputs in advance.

I think you're pretty close already, I myself have a cheap 4-jaw on a taper to fit the tailstock to steady the far end, run it through a fixed (3-point) steady and clamp to the QCTP at the business end - for concentricity you can mount a DTI in the lathe Chuck and sweep the circumference of the work, use the cross-slide and ( in my case) QCTP height adjustments or shims to get everything centred, then drill and bore using the Chuck, simples :)

If you have a steady rest and enough bed length on the lathe you can do it.
I turned a 3-1/2" dia x 24" pc of nylon on my little 11 x 30 lathe this way not too long ago.

Edit.... Doh i cant type fast enough! Beat me to it

Last edited:
You guys are the best. I just bolted the stock into the tail-stock's turret style ram feed.

forem2_zps7854c3b1.jpg

Luckily, the tailstock bore was the same diameter as the stock, so I could feed it in until it got to the morse taper alignment pin about 4" or so and that's more than I needed

forem_zps613080f8.jpg

Not perfectly centered, suspect my tailstock is out a bit, but it got the job done on time and under budget!

borednfaced_zps67f01734.jpg

Thanks for the ideas

forem2_zps7854c3b1.jpg

forem_zps613080f8.jpg

borednfaced_zps67f01734.jpg

Do you have a steady rest? If so you might be able to just chuck on one end then hold the other end in the steady rest and turn it that way. Good luck.

No doubt a steady rest would be the way to go here, but my carriage wouldn't reach all the way to get to the end of the material so I improvised.

I was going to suggest use vaseline and shove harder!!:)

Sometimes you just have to try something unorthodox to make it work. The challenge is what makes it fun.

I was going to suggest use vaseline and shove harder!!:)
Like good old days! LOL Be blessed George. You made me lol for 5 minutes. Thank youhttp://www.hobby-machinist.com/images/smilies/rofl-smiley-gif-800.gif Ariscats

Back