Material storage

Nice metal rack Charlie. It looks like it should work really well.

Tim
Funny i am in the Tri-States in NY
Hello again, I saw that on your avatar. Both my wife and my families moved to the Island in the late 70s. I ended up in S.I. because it was more central for getting to work. But I have many friends there. Charlie.

Last edited:
i like your style..
Thank's, I have a very good friend who picked up his family and moved to Mt.Juliet Tn. from Long Island NY this past summer. Loves it and said he should have done it 30 years ago. I wish I could, but the wife won't leave the grand kids. Charlie

Now we need to find a place to put the rack :)

I put this together to organize my steel stock. The section in the middle holds 4x8 sheet stock. The heavy steel stays on the lower shelves to aid stability. I have a 1 ton capacity with my set up. Thanks. Charlie.

New to the forum and just browsing around when I found your post. Nice looking setup. I just did one of my own that I bounced from idea to idea for nearly a year before I finally just pulled the trigger and built it. Part of my hesitation was this being the first large scale project I had ever done totally on my own so I doubted myself pretty much every step of the way. It's now mounted inside my shop, bolted in to the 6x6 posts of my wall and double tapcons into the floor on each leg. I've got about 3000 pounds on it right now and, like some of the others here have commented, it's amazing how much steel that ISN'T! Do you have any pics of it loaded up? I'd love to see how it looks under load.

Hi, thanks for your interest in the storage rack. I have the both of the rack's at my sons garage because of my limited space. The next time I go I'll post pictures. I would like to suggest you buy the 5" Albion wheels because the wheels I used really don't swivel very well at all. For now I store some my stock at home in 55 gal. drums that I cut in half. I then cut 4" PVC into 18"lengths and packed them into the drum and they keep the stock vertical. Thank's

Hi, thanks for your interest in the storage rack. I have the both of the rack's at my sons garage because of my limited space. The next time I go I'll post pictures. I would like to suggest you buy the 5" Albion wheels because the wheels I used really don't swivel very well at all. For now I store some my stock at home in 55 gal. drums that I cut in half. I then cut 4" PVC into 18"lengths and packed them into the drum and they keep the stock vertical. Thank's
That's a good idea for smaller stock storage. I built mine to be "permanently" mounted (unless I decide to pull the bolts and tapcons and move it elsewhere) but it's only for flat bar, round, square, etc, not plate steel. I will need to build another for plate at some point and having that one on wheels is a definite must. Here's mine.
20220319_202606.jpg

And here it is after I loaded it. It's 15' wide and 6.5' tall. I added the second upright after coming up with my initial design idea just so I'd have space for cutoffs and wouldn't have to use more space to store those somewhere else.
20220326_122100 (1).jpg

Looks absolutely great. Nice work, looks like a new structure also with plenty of room. Your set up will give you more room, plus the ease of getting what you need for a job. Whats your hobby/business. Charlie.

Looks absolutely great. Nice work, looks like a new structure also with plenty of room. Your set up will give you more room, plus the ease of getting what you need for a job. Whats your hobby/business. Charlie.
Thank you, Charlie. This is situated in the relatively new addition to our shop. The original space is a 30x40 pole building and this is a 30x24 addition we put on for storage like this. I also moved my drill presses, 2x72 belt grinder, plasma cutter, torch dolly, bandsaw, and lots of miscellaneous smaller stuff into this space. It was intended to be where I make dust and filings to keep them out of the main work area up front but turned into a lot more, really. My wife also has her own 10x16 space cut out of this new addition for her own hobbies. It ended up being finished almost nicer than our house in the end! :p

I began my foray into metalwork with blacksmithing about five years ago and gradually took up welding and fabrication as a sort of natural offshoot of my smithing work and then last year picked up a lathe and mill so I could start learning to machine as well. I practice law for a living but intend this to be a supplement to my business and eventually my semi-retirement fund. My oldest brother and I are in this together and are still outfitting the shop. We've got a 4x8 CNC plasma table coming in the next couple of months from ShopSabre and are really looking forward to building the business around that piece of equipment.

For now, though, I'm just having a great time learning these different aspects of metalwork and trying to develop my skills and capabilities. The lathe and mill fascinate me and while I don't know if I'll ever do anything production-wise on them, it's great to know that I can gradually learn how to use them in making parts, tools, etc. that I can use in the other aspects of our shop.

I can't agree with you more on the fascination aspect of making anything with our machines. I'm retired and am on my machines every day. mostly with outside work, but also for my own enjoyment. Thanks for the reply.

I can't agree with you more on the fascination aspect of making anything with our machines. I'm retired and am on my machines every day. mostly with outside work, but also for my own enjoyment. Thanks for the reply.
Yessir, thanks for asking! It's funny for me, but after 29 years of my work, I just wanted to learn to create. We moved to our farm almost 7 years ago and have been slowly creating a largely self-sufficient homestead here so I've had to recall basic skills I learned over the course of my life to start learning how to build things we needed. That led to me pursuing what had been a lifelong passion to learn blacksmithing and it took off from there. Like you - just not as much of each day as I'd like! - I can't wait to get out to my shop every evening even if it's just to clean up a little, look around, and think about new projects. I've found my 16 year old son now doing the same thing, tinkering with an ATV project or his truck or something mechanical (which I am not!) but it has given us a space to spend more time together doing something new for both of us, which has been great.

Back