Making Springs on the Lathe

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone here have experience in making springs?
I've had a request to make several of different sizes.

I have made quite a few springs over the years. The simplest way is to capture the end of the spring wire with one jaw of the chuck and wind on an undersized mandrel, I apply tension with a pair of vise grips. I loosen the drive belt so it will slip if I apply enough force with the vise grips. When I have enough turns, I shut the lathe off and slowly reduce the tension. Then I will pull the turns out to achieve the proper spacing and trim the ends. For light wire, a pair of diagonal cutters will work for trimming. Otherwise a Dremel with a cutoff wheel.

A more sophisticated method is to use a tool which fits in your tool holder. It consists of a bar with a hole drilled the length and the tip machined to allow the exit to sit close to the mandrel. This provides a more consistent diameter and allows winding with heavier wire.

I usually make a trial spring to determine the amount of spring back and adjust the mandrel diameter accordingly.

I have made quite a few springs over the years. The simplest way is to capture the end of the spring wire with one jaw of the chuck and wind on an undersized mandrel, I apply tension with a pair of vise grips. I loosen the drive belt so it will slip if I apply enough force with the vise grips. When I have enough turns, I shut the lathe off and slowly reduce the tension. Then I will pull the turns out to achieve the proper spacing and trim the ends. For light wire, a pair of diagonal cutters will work for trimming. Otherwise a Dremel with a cutoff wheel.

A more sophisticated method is to use a tool which fits in your tool holder. It consists of a bar with a hole drilled the length and the tip machined to allow the exit to sit close to the mandrel. This provides a more consistent diameter and allows winding with heavier wire.

I usually make a trial spring to determine the amount of spring back and adjust the mandrel diameter accordingly.
Thats a good quick way to do it! The few I did I used the 'mandrel with a hole in it' mechanism, and held it with my tool post. I found that sandwiching it between 2 small pieces of maple inside the tool holder. It seemed to provide perfect tension for the wires I was doing (.013 and .028 wire).

I wish I'd thought about the 'hold it in the chuck jaw method though :) I had a few mandrels break on me thanks to the hole in them.

Heat treating springs after forming is supposed to render them more resistant to being deformed under tension/torsion/compression forces. I have a toaster oven I bought for that, but, other than running it briefly to check it out, have not tried it on any home-made springs yet.

Another presentation on spring making can be found here.

Thanks for all the info.
I have not found out the wire size he wants yet or the pitch. Lengths are around 4.5".

Looks like my guy is thinking 1/64" wire. Was kind of hoping larger as I think it would be easier work with.
Has anyone ever seen a spring 4.5" long with .015" od wire with 5 coils with an OD of .5"?

Looks like my guy is thinking 1/64" wire. Was kind of hoping larger as I think it would be easier work with.
Has anyone ever seen a spring 4.5" long with .015" od wire with 5 coils with an OD of .5"?
I've never seen a spring like that before (although screen door springs have a large length/diameter ratio). Looking forward for some comments by folks who have made springs. I'd guess that more information regarding the application is needed.

5 coils isn't much... I'm guessing you'd be able to find a .015 by 1/2" or so spring and stretch it?

Otherwise the smaller wire is actually pretty easy to work with as long as you don't "hold" it too hard with the tool post/vice grips/etc and break it.

Even so, 5 coils should go pretty quick.

Anyone here have experience in making springs?
I've had a request to make several of different sizes.
Lots of good advice has been given and reminded me of a video that Mr. Pete/ Tubalcain did on You Tube explaining how to wind springs. He did a great job showing how to do it.

Back