Making it out of lead! How?

Thanks for the input, and indeed thanks to all who have replied.

It has triggered some alternative ideas. Also, I am trying to confine the lead to where it is actually needed. If that piece weighs a whole kilogram, I am imagining the whole gadget may become a bit unwieldy. Where we do use lead, it takes at least 2mm to stop the gamma.
Well, it weighs a kg if no hole in it. Honestly, if that what it takes, that's ok. A kg of lead isn't that expensive. 5 lbs of 99.5% pure lead goes for $13.29 at Rotometals. It will be a lot more expensive if you want chemically pure lead.

Also for @WobblyHand
To avoid mold release problems, it may be OK to cast it without the recess holes for the sources, and drill them out afterwards.

If the mold is aluminum, does it just "let go" from the lead easily?
Do you let it cool slow? Do you dunk it in water?
Should we put a couple of degrees slope into the sides, to help it come out?
My work is primitive as molding goes. I use the technique used by bullet molders, wherein the part is cast. the mold is opened over a pail of water, and the part literally falls out to be chilled. There is a "sprue cutter" built into the frame of the mold. As the part freezes in the mold quickly enough that by the time I move from the cast to the sprue cutter to opening the mold, the part, although quite hot, has frozen and is ready to be dropped into the chill bucket.

A "large" part with a multi-part mold would take longer to disassemble, I'm sure. The lead is cast from a "bottom tap" melting pot. Since I'm working in a "less than ideal" environment (my front steps), there (is)are several seconds from pouring the mold to despruing. It's sorta try it and if you move too fast, remelt the part and try slower next time. The lead does not adhere to the alum., although it will "catch" on a negative edge. Some taper is "thought in", although in my experience the lead shrinks away from the mold enough for small/ short cuts not to have any appreciable relief. Again, my parts are small and relatively simple. Something like the photo might well have a different result.

I use steel pins set into the mold as pilot holes for tapping. The mold "body" is aluminium. On my parts, there has never been a part that hangs, requiring "rapping". Bullet molders run their part through a "sizer" before loading, my parts are glued directly on the model, without even trimming. As noted above, chemically pure lead may have different results. I(for hardener), as well as bullet molders(cost), use recycled tire weights.

Just maybe, we could leave the copper in place. Copper has atomic number 6. The X-ray that it produces is only a feeble 277eV, well below the range of the detector.
Copper has an atomic no. of 29. Carbon is 6.

Detecting Boron is a challenge even for made-for-the-purpose, liquid-nitrogen cooled x-ray detectors. I would be flat-out astonished if we could even come close to detecting it with the detector we're playing with. Maybe a CZT-based detector could do it but I don't want to pay the bucks for one.

My work is primitive as molding goes. I use the technique used by bullet molders, wherein the part is cast. the mold is opened over a pail of water, and the part literally falls out to be chilled. There is a "sprue cutter" built into the frame of the mold. As the part freezes in the mold quickly enough that by the time I move from the cast to the sprue cutter to opening the mold, the part, although quite hot, has frozen and is ready to be dropped into the chill bucket.

A "large" part with a multi-part mold would take longer to disassemble, I'm sure. The lead is cast from a "bottom tap" melting pot. Since I'm working in a "less than ideal" environment (my front steps), there (is)are several seconds from pouring the mold to despruing. It's sorta try it and if you move too fast, remelt the part and try slower next time. The lead does not adhere to the alum., although it will "catch" on a negative edge. Some taper is "thought in", although in my experience the lead shrinks away from the mold enough for small/ short cuts not to have any appreciable relief. Again, my parts are small and relatively simple. Something like the photo might well have a different result.

I use steel pins set into the mold as pilot holes for tapping. The mold "body" is aluminium. On my parts, there has never been a part that hangs, requiring "rapping". Bullet molders run their part through a "sizer" before loading, my parts are glued directly on the model, without even trimming. As noted above, chemically pure lead may have different results. I(for hardener), as well as bullet molders(cost), use recycled tire weights.

My experience mirrors yours. I usually didn't drop the bullets in water, but have done it. It was rare to have to rap the mold for release. Come to think of it, it was usually rapping the sprue cutter, open the mold and let the bullet "fall out". Since I was casting for muzzleloaders, I used pure lead.

Your post states something that I'd like to further talk about. Please, please, if you are casting lead, do it outdoors or have correct ventilation. At ordinary temperatures, it's usually not a problem, but fluxing also releases a lot of obnoxious fumes. I don't cast indoors due to this and concerns for lead vapor release. The vapor pressure of lead increases quite a bit over temperature. At the melting point 327.9C the vapor pressure is 6e-9 mbar, 50C higher (378C) the vapor pressure is 1e-7 mbar, 17x higher. At 400C it is 3e-7 mbar. I'm sure that there's plenty of folks who have cast lead since forever and are fine, but, it's better to cast outdoors if you can.

Just a sub-note, most of the metals with a dense nucleus also shield. It is not a characteristic which is unique to Lead.

Having had to machine lead in the past, I totally recommend the advice above for casting the part as close as possible to the finished dimensions. Its hard to hold, as the chuck deforms the part, (a custom "collet" helps) hard to dill, as it grabs and pulls the drill into the work (an end mill works better than a twist drill) and hard to turn, again as it wants to grab the tool, (a flat topped tool helps).

Send me either a sketch or 3D model and I'll let you know exactly how much it will weigh. I can 3D print a master for you no problem at all. I reckon a two part silicone mold is the way to go in this one - no need for baking out or anything like that.

I would smoke the mold to help release the part. Having draft always helps with clearing the mold.

I would seriously look at making a near final net shaped wooden buck and use glass filled body filler or silicone to make a mold. I have used both many years ago, both times to cast lead soldiers by the 100s. Easier to first try with the body filler as it is cheaper than the silicone and will allow confirmation of the part. After that cast more until the body filler one fails which is not that likely for the few required and use silicone if needed later.
Pierre

I used to apply UV laser light to steel Katana blades, to differentiate between the Martensite/Pearlite boundaries, as well as the two slightly dissimilar metals that was used in the pattern-welded structures (known commonly as Damascus). It gave me insight which could not be gained via the naked eye, even under magnification. The steel would have secondary emissions which varied by those factors.

Attachments

• ninkat lamination line UV light quarter scale factor.jpg
    ninkat lamination line UV light quarter scale factor.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 6
Back