Making Bushings...

I think we need some clarification. The OP says " the drill on the tail stock wanted to turn in the chuck at times". So by "turn in the chuck" is he talking about the bit slipping in the chuck jaws?

David

I think we need some clarification. The OP says " the drill on the tail stock wanted to turn in the chuck at times". So by "turn in the chuck" is he talking about the bit slipping in the chuck jaws?

David

Good point. I completely missed that part. Some clarification would be helpful.

Mike.

Yeah, my terminology is off. I think one thing and say another. I was originally referring to the drill bit turning in the chuck jaws. The information on the tapered arbor was very helpful also, b/c that also happened some.

I worded that wrong... The drill bit was turning in the chuck. The chuck looks to be a pretty nice piece, unlike the lathe I noticed it's actually an USA made piece from Ohio. I found a better fitting key and that helped a lot. I may have been feeding too fast. Just checking to make sure there isn't anything else I could be overlooking.

However, I'm glad you told me about the part of the chuck turning with in the tail stock b/c that did happen some. That's some good info that I'd never would have thought of. Tapered arbors are new to me... I'll definitely look into that.
It could be that the chips are building up inside the hole and are causing friction which in turn spins the drill bit in the chuck jaws. When drilling a shallow hole this is not a problem because the chips just fall out. But, when drilling a deep hole you must “woodpecker” the drill bit to clear the chips…Good Luck, Dave.

It could be that the chips are building up inside the hole and are causing friction which in turn spins the drill bit in the chuck jaws. When drilling a shallow hole this is not a problem because the chips just fall out. But, when drilling a deep hole you must “woodpecker” the drill bit to clear the chips…Good Luck, Dave.

bingo, exactly what I noticed...

Hole size dia. accuracy depends on how the drill was sharpened, both flutes on the same angle and the same width.
Personally I like drilling my hole 1/32 or so undersize and then finish up with my "to size" drill after the piece cools down a bit. Pecking is good to keep chips from building up in the gullets, especially with deep holes, and messing up hole dia. and finish and spinning the bit in the chuck. Check the drill shank for bugs and grind off and use plenty of oil when drilling. Oil helps with cutting and lubing the bit up for chip flow out.

I have taken apart a drill chuck more than once. And have studied its operandi. IMHO tightening all three positions will do little or nothing to improve the chuck jaws grip. This is however, only if the chuck is of good quality and working properly. On a side note, if you are tightening a 3 jaw lathe chuck and it has more than one wrench hole. Improvements in concentricity could be noticed if you repeatedly use the same chuck key hole and no other…Good Luck

I have taken apart a drill chuck more than once. And have studied its operandi. IMHO tightening all three positions will do little or nothing to improve the chuck jaws grip. This is however, only if the chuck is of good quality and working properly. On a side note, if you are tightening a 3 jaw lathe chuck and it has more than one wrench hole. Improvements in concentricity could be noticed if you repeatedly use the same chuck key hole and no other…Good Luck
I have a Rohm 1/2" and a larger Jacobs drill chuck.
Both grip much tighter when I use the key in all three positions. The Rohm in particular has bad habit of spinning the bit on break through, it also does not grip taps very well unless I tighten all three holes - which makes for a nice safety feature with smaller taps. The Albrecht keyless I use on the lathe actually seems to grip better than the keyed Rohm. Maybe I got a defective unit, Rohm is supposed to be good.
I also always tighten all three holes on a 3jaw chuck. I have "decent" quality Chinese chucks, I would never trust the scroll to not wind up when chucking work.

Back